Americauna
Brown Leghorns
Penedesencas
Barred Rock
Crested Cream Legbars
Ayam Cemanis
Speckled Sussex
Gold Laced Wyandotte

Barred Rock, Crested Cream Legbar, and male Black Sexlinks would have barring--so your barred chick should have one of those breeds as one parent.

Black chicks could come from having one parent be Lavender Orpington, Black Sexlink, Barred Rock, Ayam Cemani, or Ameraucana (if it's black or blue Ameraucana).

For the other parent of each chick, almost any breed is possible.
--Wyandotte will probably produce rose-combed chicks
--Crested Cream Legbar will probably produce chicks with a small crest, and pullets should lay blue eggs
--Ameraucana will probably produce muff-faced chicks (fat cheeks), with pea combs, and pullets should lay blue or green eggs
--All other parent combinations should produce single-combed chicks with no extra feathers, and pullets should lay white or cream or brown eggs.

(comb types are hard to tell on tiny chicks, but become more obvious as the chicks grow.)

And now I feel strongly that the small almost all black one with puffy cheeks in ayam amerucana mix! How fun. If I mix it back to a pure ayam do you think I could have an all black chicken with green legs?

That might work. I haven't studied leg color enough to know for sure about green legs with black. It sounds attractive to me!

Barred Rock, Crested Cream Legbar, and male Black Sexlinks would have barring--so your barred chick should have one of those breeds as one parent.

Black chicks could come from having one parent be Lavender Orpington, Black Sexlink, Barred Rock, Ayam Cemani, or Ameraucana (if it's black or blue Ameraucana).

For the other parent of each chick, almost any breed is possible.
--Wyandotte will probably produce rose-combed chicks
--Crested Cream Legbar will probably produce chicks with a small crest, and pullets should lay blue eggs
--Ameraucana will probably produce muff-faced chicks (fat cheeks), with pea combs, and pullets should lay blue or green eggs
--All other parent combinations should produce single-combed chicks with no extra feathers, and pullets should lay white or cream or brown eggs.

(comb types are hard to tell on tiny chicks, but become more obvious as the chicks grow.)

That might work. I haven't studied leg color enough to know for sure about green legs with black. It sounds attractive to me!
I'm so excited!! The barred I feel is a rooster and the black bigger one a pullet. Im not sure about the all black tiny one. I didnt eve. Think to look at the comb type! Thats such a good clue! I will keep strong hope for at least one green egg layer! Thats the only one I dont have. I want to learn about genetics so much more. Its one of the things I love about chickens. Does anyone have advice on any good books? I don't have service where I live so internet is useless

I want to learn about genetics so much more. Its one of the things I love about chickens. Does anyone have advice on any good books? I don't have service where I live so internet is useless

There's one called "Genetics of the Fowl" by F.B. Hutt, but it was published so many years ago it's hard to find and/or expensive. Also, some new things have been discovered since then. But a lot of it still relevant. You might be able to get it through a library.

I've mostly used the internet for learning about chicken genetics. If have the ability to access pages from somewhere and print them for later study, you could try this one:
https://kippenjungle.nl/basisEN.htm

That page keeps mentioning a "calculator. It's a chicken genetics calculator, where you can change genes and watch the little chicken pictures change, and ask it to figure what offspring could be produced from a given mating. https://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html
Unfortunately, there's no way to print that for later study :(

Back
Top Bottom