aye carumba, chicken math!!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Ravishaw, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    We had 14 hens and a rooster. The rooster was problematic because he always attacked my kids. He was also really really randy. He went after my hens like he was the worlds only rooster. And let me say, he put some miles on the hens.

After attacking my daughter one afternoon, the wife gave me an ultimatum, and he had to go. So I killed him. 2 days later, one of my anti-social wynadottes decided to become broody and set on a clutch of eggs. And the other hens snuck in and laid eggs on top of her and she incubated them too.

We picked up 3 barred rock chicks, one passed away and the two are almost full grown.

2 hens died to a dog creating a ruckus, and its owner brought us two little chicks. Well you can't have just 2 chicks, so my wife bought 7 more to go with them.

The broody hen's eggs were getting close to hatching, so we bought 2 red new jersey's to put under her. THEN THE EGGS STARTED HATCHING!!!
    5 hatched.

7 chicks, 9 teenagers, 2 pullets about to start laying, 13 laying hens... I'm in a chicken math conundrum. That's 31 little poopers running around, and that's going to severly limit the perching space in the coop. I'll have to build a feeder I can empty an entire a whole 50lb bag of food into. THEN I'll need an auto-waterer.

This chicken math thing hurts my brain.

2. Emmalion

Emmalion Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    When you build that feeder let us know. I am sure there are a lot of us on here that would love an auto feeder (me included)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by