AZ Gardeners

just curious..
did you line the box?

I used a stapler and some weed fabric. That black stuff that is supposed to block weeds from growing in areas you cover it with. Doesn't work for that but it fills in the areas between the slats and helps let the soil dry between watering.

I just measured a rectangle big enough to cover bottom and sides, folded it over in the corners like I was wrapping a gift box on the inside and stapled. Added soil and a carpet of sedums. So easy!

I used a stapler and some weed fabric. That black stuff that is supposed to block weeds from growing in areas you cover it with. Doesn't work for that but it fills in the areas between the slats and helps let the soil dry between watering.

I just measured a rectangle big enough to cover bottom and sides, folded it over in the corners like I was wrapping a gift box on the inside and stapled. Added soil and a carpet of sedums. So easy!
Thank you...

Hey guys!

I have a quick question. I went to the store and bought some plants the other day. One of them is a rosemary. I planted it in a pot and stuck it outside where it gets morning sun but shade during the hottest parts of the day. I thought I heard it is ok to keep rosemary outside but I wanted to check so I don't kill it! Apparently succulents don't do so well outside in the heat like I thought :-( I'm in the phoenix area so it has been hot!

Yup the rosemary should be fine. Just keep an eye on it so it doesn't dry out.

Anything I've tried in pots never makes it...except plumeria. But I probably don't water enough.

Last edited:
Publice Service Announcement!
I just found hatchling squash bugs on my Key Lime bush! Wish I had taken pictures before I killed them, because I never would have believed it had i not seen it with my own eyes. There was a row of eggs on a young stem and all the hatchlings were on the tender leaves just above the eggs like they literally just hatched. Up until now I thought they were picky and stuck to squash and melons. They are not picky!! :mad:

Hi all. Need some advice. I'm in the process of tearing out old pavers and adding new. This is along the north side of my house in the backyard and where we step out from the arcadia door.
My initial plan was to replant grass along the outside edge of the walkway, but with chickens I don't think it's feasible. They hit the grass hard last year and I have more chickens now than I did last summer. I'm going to try a wood frame in their run with hardware cloth over the top so they can't kill the grass.
This area of issue gets deep shade in winter and brutal sun all day in summer. The soil is pretty good but outside where the grass has grown in the past is another story. The top soil is very sandy with heavy clay underneath and likely some caliche; it doesn't drain well.

I'm thinking about planting bushes where we had grass, but how to handle that bad spot? I've had good experience with composted mulch so was thinking about mixing some gypsum into the sand and covering that area with a thick layer of cardboard, then some composted mulch.

If you want to plant bushes, you might want to find a way to dig down a little deeper for better roots. Even if you have to rent one of those gas powered post hole diggers. I'll bet it would help alot.

That's a great idea! I'm renting a rototiller to scratch up the whole yard good first, but the post hole thing will really help!

Back
Top Bottom