AZ Gardeners

Nothin yet, I'm hoping to have the boys plant some lettuce, maybe some carrots too.

ETA And sugar snap peas. I'm just waiting on my seed order from Native Seed Search

Last edited:
I have decided against grass in the backyard. Going to get the pavers out, till the soil and water...give the chickens a couple weeks to work it over while I put in the new pavers, then transplant the desert shrubs from the side yard into this area. The side yard would be better suited for frames to grow grass in.
Bought some stonecrop to put somewhere.

I'm about to allow my chickens to re-graze the pasture area I planted for them. It takes them about 3 hours to completely decimate the area, which is planted with alfalfa, clover, radish, broccoli and some surprise okra and cherry tomato plants that sprouted from seeds the chickens must have left behind following their treats. Then I fence it off again and water every couple days until it regenerates in about 3-6 weeks, depending upon outdoor temperatures.

Today we planted a lime tree, sunken down in the ground with a sizable berm around it to allow the rainwater to drain into the tree bed and water it during the rains. Last month we planted a fig tree the same way.

I'm struggling with getting my winter plants planted because my last plantings are still producing. I'm getting lots of cherry tomatoes, butternut squash, honey delicata squash, cucumbers, peas, black beans, black-eyed peas, buckwheat and acorn squash. Oh...and okra. My okra plants are starting to produce well. I planted them late in the season, not expecting them to do much, but they're doing great!

I'm about to allow my chickens to re-graze the pasture area I planted for them. It takes them about 3 hours to completely decimate the area, which is planted with alfalfa, clover, radish, broccoli and some surprise okra and cherry tomato plants that sprouted from seeds the chickens must have left behind following their treats. Then I fence it off again and water every couple days until it regenerates in about 3-6 weeks, depending upon outdoor temperatures.

Today we planted a lime tree, sunken down in the ground with a sizable berm around it to allow the rainwater to drain into the tree bed and water it during the rains. Last month we planted a fig tree the same way.

I'm struggling with getting my winter plants planted because my last plantings are still producing. I'm getting lots of cherry tomatoes, butternut squash, honey delicata squash, cucumbers, peas, black beans, black-eyed peas, buckwheat and acorn squash. Oh...and okra. My okra plants are starting to produce well. I planted them late in the season, not expecting them to do much, but they're doing great!

Man... I wish mine were doing so well. The caterpillers and cucumber beetles decimated everything this year. All I have left that are still "trying" are the rattlesnake beans, the striped zuchinni, and one vine tomato that started so late it still only has green fruit on it. Plus the perennial herbs oregano, sage, parsley, mint... etc... Keep planning on trying to get some broccoli going but have just been too busy to even start on that.

Man... I wish mine were doing so well. The caterpillers and cucumber beetles decimated everything this year. All I have left that are still "trying" are the rattlesnake beans, the striped zuchinni, and one vine tomato that started so late it still only has green fruit on it. Plus the perennial herbs oregano, sage, parsley, mint... etc... Keep planning on trying to get some broccoli going but have just been too busy to even start on that.

The chickens helped me a lot with caterpillar control, as well as grasshopper and beetle control. They enjoyed the protein, and I enjoyed saving my plants. I also have a young roadrunner living in my front yard who's adopted me. He actually jumps up onto the windowsill to let me know he's thirsty. I run a hose for him and after he's done drinking and playing in the puddle he runs around the yard eating butterflies and snatching up caterpillars.

All the caterpillars were on things that the chickens would want to eat, like pea and bean plants. And the cucumber beetles were on everything!! I made some traps that were fairly effective on those. But it's hard to keep up on picking the caterpillars off the plants to throw to the chickens. They could literally decimate the plants overnight. I also have problems here with salt in our water because this is a cotton growing valley and they've been using salt as a dessicant for decades. It's hard to flush the salt out of the soil when its in the water itself... :(

All the caterpillars were on things that the chickens would want to eat, like pea and bean plants. And the cucumber beetles were on everything!! I made some traps that were fairly effective on those. But it's hard to keep up on picking the caterpillars off the plants to throw to the chickens. They could literally decimate the plants overnight.
Ok, I'm jumping in here and subscribing even though I'm next door in New Mexico because of the similar conditions and challenges we face.

I battled a lot of caterpillars this year but I had help from the wasps that nest in my eaves and when they couldn't reach them all I sprayed with organic Monterey BT. It kept things under control.

Ok, I'm jumping in here and subscribing even though I'm next door in New Mexico because of the similar conditions and challenges we face.

I battled a lot of caterpillars this year but I had help from the wasps that nest in my eaves and when they couldn't reach them all I sprayed with organic Monterey BT. It kept things under control.

Welcome! New Mexico is right next door so you fit in here just fine. :)

I've been told by a couple people that turkeys LOVE those caterpillars and will pluck them off without consuming the plants. That's just reinforcing my desire to start raising some Midget Whites and I just might have to take the plunge when poults become available.

Welcome! New Mexico is right next door so you fit in here just fine. :)

I've been told by a couple people that turkeys LOVE those caterpillars and will pluck them off without consuming the plants. That's just reinforcing my desire to start raising some Midget Whites and I just might have to take the plunge when poults become available.
If only I had the room to do that! That would be so cool! My property is tiny though and I'm packing fruit trees and bushes, veg beds and chickens into every square inch of it. Wasps fit! lol

Back
Top Bottom