azaleas and chickens

aharriso

Chirping
11 Years
Dec 13, 2010
Raleigh, NC
So it looks like Azaleas are on the poisonous shrub list and I've always heard chickens are pretty smart about what they can eat and what they can't. However, I have a couple azalea shrubs in the garden and they seem to really like going over and plucking the flowers off. I have watched to see if they sample and drop but they actually eat them. Should I pull these shrubs out?

So far my silkies(not the smartest breed) eat every flower on the property and in their run that they can find save one. It is on a flowering cactus and flowers about the size of a dinner plate. I don't know if it is toxic just they leave those alone. I suspect Azalea flowers are non toxic as plants usually like to be pollenated and killing pollenators would prove an evolutionary dead end.

Last edited:
Ok, I can rest a bit easier. They have tons of other things to forage. I almost think the Azaleas are for sport. They like to lay under them and then they pick at the flowers. But eventually they move on in the yard. Thank you all for replying!

Back
Top Bottom