azure standard/honolulu freight shipping to OAHU

midd2005

Chirping
9 Years
May 22, 2010
Oahu
so, i'm trying to figure out a way to bring my organic feed costs down a bit, and i keep hearing mentions of azure standard. i've looked into it a bit, but i'm still kinda baffled about how to make it work.

from what i could figure out with the lady on the phone at azure standard, my understanding is, i place an order on the website. if I (or my group) order over 550 lbs of goods, it's free shipping for them to send it to honolulu freight. from there i have no idea how it would work. however, i assume then, that I/the group then pays honolulu freight to get it to honolulu.

i know there is a group on kauai that does this, which implies that there is some financial sense to it. i wouldn't be surprised if people on oahu are doing this, but i have no idea as of yet who they are or how to find them. google yields nothing.

i only have 7 chickens so there is no way i'm paying for 550 lbs of food at one go. i need a group of people.

any information about how this would work for me? or do any of the HI folk on here know of a group that i could join?

First, I would ask Azure Standard for the contact into for the existing group that you mentioned. Call that drop point manager, and ask them how they get their stuff from Honolulu Freight.

AS sells so much more than chicken feed! My monthly order is usually around $200. We buy all of our organic dry goods (beans, oats, flour, etc) in bulk from them. We also buy many of our canned goods, some body care and cleaning supplies. You could probably make the minimum every other month, if you only had 4 or 5 families ordering. Talk to your friends about how they can save $ buying in bulk!

Just my suggestions. I have been buying with AS for 6 years.

i don't think azure standard knows anything about what happens after it hits the barge point in oregon because when i talked to the lady on the phone already that is pretty much what she told me.

i was simply told to contact honolulu freight and set up an account with them and then place an order with azure standard.

i'm trying to figure out about the drop point manager in kauai so i can work backwards as you suggest; however, i heard about their existence in the yahoo hawaii chickens group and i'm not sure how often the person there who knows about this checks it. so we will see. i was hoping to draw on the larger audience on this board and see if i can directly find what is i suspect an already existing azure standard drop point on oahu.

having chickens in hawaii is so much harder than on the mainland. or so i assume from what i read on here. oy.

Quote:
Did you ask the rep at Azure Standard if there was a drop in Oahu? They will pass on the contact info to you, if there is an existing drop that is accepting new people.

i thought i asked this, but maybe i didn't. i didn't really know how anything worked when i spoke with the woman so i was really on a fishing expedition and not asking specific enough questions. and i didn't get a rep who understood that i had not a clue. i'll try again tomorrow.

Yeah, all you have to do is tell her that you want to know how to order from them usually they will explain every detail. Then you can ask them who is the contact for the nearest group. That is exactly what I did when I talked to them. Good luck~Tacey

Quote:
Tacey, which drop point do you order with? I ran the drop in San Bernardino for 5 years. The Riverside drop was born from my group. I know of one other group, maybe in Pomona, that is used by my girls in the IE Attachment Parents group!

Yeah they have wonderful organic food for humans and chickens, other animals too. But, I can't order from them right now. The cost is just too high, and no one else was doing chicken feed to bring the price down. I will revisit it again in a couple mths to check to see if there are any takers.
I guess that Norco group has been going for 5-6 yrs.

Back
Top Bottom