[b]List the name & protein percentage of the chicken feed you use.[/b]

I also feed Layena year round. But add Calf Manna for extra protein.

Cost is $11.50 bag 50lb.

Located in TX

Last edited:
Thank you for the cookie recipe!
tongue.png

Brand name of the feed you are currently using for your laying hens:
-Purina

Any model or style name for it:(i.e., what does the manufacturer call it):
-Flock Raiser

Is it crumbles or pellets:
-Crumbles

Protein percentage:
-20%

Price for what quantity:
-$16 for 50 lbs

Do you use that feed in all seasons year round, or just in hot summers or just in cold winters:
-Year round, but I just got the chicks and started it in September

Do you use a different feed when your climate is a hot season; and if so, what do you use then:(& is that instead of, or in addition to, the feed you listed above as your current feed?)
-No, not yet.

Do you use a different feed when your climate is a cold season; and if so, what do you use then:(& is that instead of, or in addition to, the feed you listed above as your current feed?)
-I supplement with more corn in their scratch, hamburger and veggies.

Do you use a different feed when the chickens are molting;and if so, what do you use then: (& is that instead of, or in addition to, the feed you listed above as your current feed?)
-Mine haven’t molted yet.

Is there anything that you particularly DO like or DON'T like about the feed that you're currently using?
-The dog likes it too.

If you used to use a different feed for laying hens, why did you switch to the one that you're currently using?
-It was recommended here by a lot of people and I think it is better. My neighbor uses a generic laying mix and his house stinks and mine doesn’t.

Where are you located?
-Colorado.

Mary

Last edited:
Southern States All Grain Laying Pellets
16% Protein
50 pounds is $10.50 at the nearest feed store, but $9.45 at the one I buy corn.

I use this all year long, but I mix 5-15% corn in during the summer and 25-33% corn in the winter. The hotter it is the less corn I mix in.

While molting I toss out black oil sunflower seeds. I do not mix it in the feed. The birds will dig out all the food to find all the seeds.

Since early summe there has been alot of feed powder in the bags. I have to sift it or it clogs the feeders, but it has been alot better the last month or so.

I have tried other feeds, but some the hens refused to eat and some they stopped laying completely for weeks.

Matt
Morganton, NC

sbarab

[I also feed Layena year round. But add Calf Manna for extra protein.

We're in Spring.....where do you find calf manna?

Thanks!

Last edited:
We use Ace Hi Big Feeder Lay Mash manufactured by Star Milling Co. No pellets or crumble.
Crude Protein, not less than 15.68%
Crude Fat, not less than 3.30%
Crude Fiber, not less than 4.30%
Ash, not more than 18.30%

About $12.00/50#

Main ingredients: Cracked Corn, Soybean Meal, Wheat Bran, Calcium Carbonate, Cane Molasses, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Granite Grit, Oyster Shell......

Year around and also give 'em scratch mixed with wild bird seed.

SoCal

I feed Kalmbach Starter Grower to all my poultry. (chicks, growers, layers and breeders) The Layers and the breeders get a Vitamin/ Mineral mix...

Duck, Goose, Chick & Gamebird Starter Grower
PRODUCT CODE: 1044/ 1044PL

FORM: 1044 #2 Starter Crumble
1044PL Pellet

MEDICATION: None

APPLICATION:
Formulated for starting and growing ducks, geese, chickens and game birds.

FEEDING DIRECTIONS:
Feed continuously as the sole ration to ducks, geese, chickens and game birds from 1 day of age until slaughter or market.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:
Crude Protein (Min.) 21%
Lysine (Min.) 1.20%
Methionine (Min.) 0.5%
Crude Fat (Min.) 3.0%
Crude Fiber (Max.) 4.0%
Calcium (Ca) (Min.) 0.7%
Calcium (Ca) (Max.) 1.2%
Phosphorus (P) (Min.) 0.7%
Salt (NaCl) (Min.) 0.2%
Salt (NaCl) (Max.) 0.7%

Chris

I recently switched feed mills. I honestly don't know what the ingredients are in the protein additive they use but here is what I know.

In summer, I order 16%. In winter it is between 18%-20%. Seems to help with laying by upping the protein.

The known ingredients are 750lb's corn, 200 lb's protein mix, and 50 lb's oyster shells. 1/2 ton every 2 months.

Price changes based on the grain market. The Dec 2nd fill was $125.00 (18+%) So that is $6.25 for a 50 lb bag if my math is correct.

Back
Top Bottom