[b]Someone who knows what the *HECK* the are talking About![/b]

Jason, that sounds okay. Do your big bird try to fly to the higher one?

Actually, I prefer the ladder type roost where they can hop from one rung to the next and never have to jump down and risk leg injuries, however, that does take a bit more room than just a single roost pole.

Here is the roost in my main coop, set back into a 4 ft wide alcove (we built around a big oak tree when we made the addition to the original coop). The coop is 8' wide so there is plenty of room to walk in front of the roost, but they never have to make any huge jumps. That window now has a hardware cloth screen that can be lowered for cleaning, but keeps the birds from accidentally being spooked and flying into the glass.

DCP_5751.jpg

The Orps have a roost shelf made with plastic garden fencing strung on a frame, about 21" above the floor. There was no room for a ladder roost in their smaller coop (only have four bird in there, but they're huge birds).

You can see a piece of that roost shelf in this pic.

DCP_4922.jpg

You all have been super AMAZING!
I am implementing many of the recommendations here, including going 8x8. (i felt like a mob would show up at my house and burn my coop down if i didn't :)

i am also going for the poop board, like the one in teh picture someone posted in this thread.

Where can i get such a thing? And what should i be wanting to get? Meaning, what characteristics should i be looking for in a poop board?

Cats'n'Chicks :

Meaning, what characteristics should i be looking for in a poop board?

Most important, easy to clean!
wink.png
I saw somebody on this thread using a plastic boot tray, that sounds like an awesome idea!​

I saw somebody on this thread using a plastic boot tray, that sounds like an awesome idea!

what is a "plastic boot tray."

You are dealing with a diy-moron here :)

What should i be looking for at Home Depot?​

Boot trays are literally trays to leave your boots/shoes on in a mud room or front porch. You can find them at HD or storage type stores. I have even seen them at the dollar store from time to time. I had some silver tin backsplash left over from a kitchen job which I use as poop boards. Quite fancy! Some people use a regular board and top it with a loose scrap of vinyl flooring which can be picked up and cleaned off. You will find, the easier the better!

Anything works; 12" is sort of the minimum useful width but 16-18" is better.

If you can find some scrap melamine-covered chipboard shelving material, I have had real good luck with that, except that long lengths of it will tend to sag and need extra support in the middle.

But, really, use what's handy
tongue.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom