B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Can you talk more about how you go about doing the hatching and brooding when using broodies? I'm thinking I'd like to do this, but having never bred chickens before, this is all totally alien to me.

Last edited:
her hens are not laying at the moment, thus no eggs. i also sent dick horstman a message here on byc. i have heard back from him yet.

the search contiunes!

Those of you looking for Reds, I've seen some of these reds from Montana here in Washington State. I believe they ship eggs, not chicks. Just an idea. She also has SG's. I have two from her I'm very happy with.

http://blackdiamondguestranch.com/index-3chicken.html

I would be thrilled to find decent colored. thrilled. I would concentrate on them in a milisecond if I could find any.

eta: not that I know what I am doing, and the concept of going to a show and maybe exposing my chickens to disease is not my thing.
I know the livestock manager at the Museum of American Frontier Culture in Staunton is working with coloreds and may be interested in working with someone else in VA....

Yes, Roger Tice Sold his entire breeding stock of Red Dorkings to The Mosleley's of Miracle Chicken Farm in Traskwood Arkansas. I helped them get them and they are doing well working with this breed and Rogers line and should have some eggs or chicks available in 2013. Most of what they produced this year they kept for breeding stock. I have a couple of birds they produced this year and I am unsing them to strengthen my Dorkings as well.

I saw them and thought they were reds until the lady told me they were colored. they honestly looked like reds to me.

maybe the interpreter I was talking to didn't know the difference or something and thought they were colored when the ones we were talking about were red?

Last edited:
A buddy of mine, an excellent breeder of poultry here in NH, just returned from England. He and a few others went to England to tour the poultry shows. He, not a Dorking breeder himself but a mentor and encourager of our program at YHF, was excited to share news of the Dorkings there. He was clearly impressed, especially with the Silver Greys, although he also said that the Reds were strong. I guess I should say that he is not only an excellent breeder but also a judge, and he was in the company of some two of the most respecte judges in the US poultry community. They were all impressed. The Dorkings were low to the ground, and he stressed repeatedly how HUGE they were.

I wonder if there would be any interest in creating a consortium of sorts to import a trio. I know it can be very expensive and complicated, but it can be done, and if the cost were split among many people and all received a share of the hatching eggs/chicks it might be doable. I know Greenfire Farms has been importing for years. Just a thought.

i'd be interested. for sure.

however, i can't find hatching eggs here in the US. how difficult would it be to find someone there who'd be willing to do all the stuff they have to do to send them?

I wonder if there would be any interest in creating a consortium of sorts to import a trio. I know it can be very expensive and complicated, but it can be done, and if the cost were split among many people and all received a share of the hatching eggs/chicks it might be doable. I know Greenfire Farms has been importing for years. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom