B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Hmmm....that definitely isn't OK.  What do the instructions for your "reptipro" suggest for hatching?  With the GQF I just follow directions and have great results. 

FYI- My adventures with incubators has included a Repti-Pro. I had a terrible time keeping the humidity up to the 45-55 percent, but successfully hatched 7 of 9 shipped Blue Guinea eggs. Had another good-ish hatch with low 30's humidity, but when I figured out how to get "proper" humidity, my repti pro weren't ape$#!t, and then wouldn't heat any more. I sent it in thinking there was a problem with the CPU. They sent me a new one after testing it. I set it up, ran it at temp for 48 hours, then added humidity, for it all to go south again...

My understanding is that A) the Repti-Pro is a converted office/dorm fridge and works great for reptiles not needing as much humidity(?) and B) It all seems to go horribly wrong when you get the humidity in the higher numbers. I am going to do a test dry hatch in mine to see how that goes.

Quote:
nope.. I have had 80% humidity in mine and it worked great

besides.. an incubator is an incubator. i can hatch out reptiles in an LG as well as a reptipro or a dickey.. you can grow bacterial cultures in any of them as well.
It's just a matter of learning HOW to work whatever incubator you are using at the time..

Heck.. people have hatched out eggs in electric skillets, toaster ovens, aquariums and even horse watering troughs.. and they certainly aren't meant for hatching out chicken eggs!

FYI- My adventures with incubators has included a Repti-Pro. I had a terrible time keeping the humidity up to the 45-55 percent, but successfully hatched 7 of 9 shipped Blue Guinea eggs. Had another good-ish hatch with low 30's humidity, but when I figured out how to get "proper" humidity, my repti pro weren't ape$#!t, and then wouldn't heat any more. I sent it in thinking there was a problem with the CPU. They sent me a new one after testing it. I set it up, ran it at temp for 48 hours, then added humidity, for it all to go south again...

My understanding is that A) the Repti-Pro is a converted office/dorm fridge and works great for reptiles not needing as much humidity(?) and B) It all seems to go horribly wrong when you get the humidity in the higher numbers. I am going to do a test dry hatch in mine to see how that goes.

Yeah, the thing isn't designed to handle humidity. And it is a wine refrigerator. I would NEVER recommend spending that kind of cash on one. If I wanted a wine cooler i would have purchased one and gotten a way better deal to boot. No thanks, I'll stick to a real incubator from now on.

Well, 7 out of 30 eggs from Craig have hatched so far. 3 more pipped. This hatch is being more long and drawn out than I am used to and I hope that it is just delayed because we have been struggling so much to keep it up to temp with no power. The generator is small and has to be switched around from appliance to appliance. But the ones hatched so far look healthy!

But, um, two of the chicks are a very pale yellow...didn't realize I was going to have whites....news to me! I better get some grass growing to cover our mud, but I console myself with the fact that at least Dorkings don't have feathered feet. Feathered feet would really look a mess!

Quote:
Mine handles humidity just fine

between hatches I spray the entire inside of it with a spray bottle of Oxine and water.. leave it soaking wet. that is the shelves.. door.. ceiling.. walls.. everything.. close the door and leave it turned on and running for two to three days... then open it back up.. wipe it down and spray it again with the same solution.. then wiping it down immediately..

The entire thing is soaking wet for days and runs fine.. it's well over 80% humidity in there when I do that.. have had it running pretty much nonstop for just over a year

Quote: actually, depending on the reptile, some do need more humidity than others... but also, most reptile eggs are incubated in a damo/moist medium. i'm thinking like peat moss or similar consistency, but can't think of what it's called. again it all depends on the animal being hatched (reptile wise). i know some of the snakes a friend hatched out, he had to keep wetting the bedding in the container the eggs were burried in every couple days...

incubating reptile eggs and chicken eggs are sometimes 2 entirely different things. think about reptiles who bury their eggs in sand near a beach or lake, vs desert dwelling snakes or lizards... the reptiles depend on whatever's consistent for that species, while most eggs are pretty standard, with the exception of length of incubation for the most part...

actually, depending on the reptile, some do need more humidity than others... but also, most reptile eggs are incubated in a damo/moist medium. i'm thinking like peat moss or similar consistency, but can't think of what it's called. again it all depends on the animal being hatched (reptile wise). i know some of the snakes a friend hatched out, he had to keep wetting the bedding in the container the eggs were burried in every couple days...

incubating reptile eggs and chicken eggs are sometimes 2 entirely different things. think about reptiles who bury their eggs in sand near a beach or lake, vs desert dwelling snakes or lizards... the reptiles depend on whatever's consistent for that species, while most eggs are pretty standard, with the exception of length of incubation for the most part...

I hear what you are saying but i really think it's more of a wine cooler vs incubator thing rather than a reptile egg incubator vs bird egg incubator thing. Although it may be better suited for hatching reptile eggs it's not designed to be an incubator at all. If i would have known that, would never have purchased it. Anyway water under the bridge now. I'm probably going to build a hatcher as soon as i get a chance. Not big on the idea of even using the reptipro for a hatcher but it's all we have right now. Hopefully I can get something more trustworthy put together soon. I'd rather just buy a new GQF hatcher but the wife probably won't be big on that idea lol. Still have 15 more days til the next hatch maybe i can put something together by then but not making any promises.

Back
Top Bottom