B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Be as strict as you can at all points. Remember, what you'll keep and tolerate is what you'll have. It is better to only keep a few really good ones, than to keep any average ones. That goes triple for the rare breeds. Yes numbers are low, but why propagate non-ideal stock? There's no award for having more birds. I see this frequently in newcomers and less than great breeders. It's probably biggest place most people go wrong (other big place is not keeping enough males, as many have said keep three for each one you NEED, because one will die, one will be infertile and then you have one to breed from)

The only breeder of rosé comb colored Dorkings that I can find, is Sandhill.

Are there any others?

I want some Dorkings next spring, but I only want the rose comb ones. I could live with a different color, if the Dorkings were of good quality, but I find the colored Dorking are my favorite by far!

Thanks!
i ordered single and rose comb colored and reds, but every one i got has a single comb. go figure.

Be as strict as you can at all points. Remember, what you'll keep and tolerate is what you'll have. It is better to only keep a few really good ones, than to keep any average ones. That goes triple for the rare breeds. Yes numbers are low, but why propagate non-ideal stock? There's no award for having more birds. I see this frequently in newcomers and less than great breeders. It's probably biggest place most people go wrong (other big place is not keeping enough males, as many have said keep three for each one you NEED, because one will die, one will be infertile and then you have one to breed from)
Thanks BGMatt, you are one over the most respected members on here as far as I am concerned. You post on several of the threads I watch and you always have very informative and to the point advice. Thank you for your input. As far as the roosters are concerned. I was only going to save one, maybe two, but I have talked three other women here in town into doing the same. With the idea that if something happened to mine (or theirs) there would be a replacement close.

I think that's a very good idea. I know sometimes it's a hassle to keep a couple extras, but I'd rather that hassle than trying to find a replacement. Good thinking getting other locals involved in your breed.

Edit: and thank you. Just a dude with a boring retail job with computer access all day, so try to share what I've learned over a lot of years, a lot of experience and from some truly great poultry people.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm very excited to have gotten a silver grey Dorking as my free rare chick! I'm hoping its female so I can keep it. I've noticed that the hens and roos have very different feather patterns, can you tell by the color feathers coming in what the gender is, or do they both start out similar?

Here's a picture because he/she is so darn cute :) we named him Little Jerry Seinfeld

usually I tell by the width and how well defined the stripe on the head is and how defined the eyeliner is. from what I see of yours, I think the eyeliner is pretty well defined, so maybe a girl?

Quote: I ordered I think 8 8 and 9, got 2 extra reds, but lost 3 during shipping... lost a few more the day after, but all were single combed. don't know which were red or colored. I have a hard time telling them apart when they're new.

no biggie, i'd just as soon have single combs anyways. I only ordered the rose for diverse family lines..

Back
Top Bottom