B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

usually I tell by the width and how well defined the stripe on the head is and how defined the eyeliner is. from what I see of yours, I think the eyeliner is pretty well defined, so maybe a girl?
I go by the width and color of the head markings... and it looks a bit narrower than most of my pullets. i'm leaning toward cockerel.

to be sure, when the breast feathers come in they'll either be salmon (pullet) or black (cockerel) then you'll know for sure.

I ordered I think 8 8 and 9, got 2 extra reds, but lost 3 during shipping... lost a few more the day after, but all were single combed. don't know which were red or colored. I have a hard time telling them apart when they're new.

no biggie, i'd just as soon have single combs anyways. I only ordered the rose for diverse family lines..

just curious, did they ship you replacements?

Just got these cuties Tuesday from McMurray, 15 pullets , 5 cockerels, and 2 mystery freebies! And just for the record, these Dorking babies are twicw as loud as my Comets and EE's put together!

Cool! I have a shipment from McMurray next week with some dorkings included! :D Exciting!
I had hear a few negative reviews about McMurray after I ordered, but after I looked at them I realized they had ordered during cold weather months. I have had the best experience with their customer service and am totally pleased with the speed they came. Since I live in Georgia, I thought they would be late coming and half would be dead but we could hear the little peepers as soon as we walked in the post office!

So, are Dorkings as a breed known for being real aggressive about picking on other fowl? Or is it just this line that I have? I have had to do more rearranging and isolating and more young birds bloodied this year than almost anytime in the past 20 years (I had one line of Jersey Giants that were this way too). The only common denominator in all cases has been the Dorkings were involved.

So, are Dorkings as a breed known for being real aggressive about picking on other fowl? Or is it just this line that I have? I have had to do more rearranging and isolating and more young birds bloodied this year than almost anytime in the past 20 years (I had one line of Jersey Giants that were this way too). The only common denominator in all cases has been the Dorkings were involved.

Not that I've heard of. Most people enjoy the fact that they aren't as aggressive as other breeds. 0.o perhaps it's a certain feminine influence gone amuck? You know how those lighter feathered girls can be
lau.gif

No idea. Maybe it's just my luck. Like I said prior to this year only time I ever had near this many (and worse) bird on bird violence was with Jersey Giants and everyone says how docile they are too.

Back
Top Bottom