B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Not that I've heard of. Most people enjoy  the fact that they aren't as aggressive as other breeds. 0.o perhaps it's a certain feminine influence gone amuck?  You know how those lighter feathered girls can be :lau

Where did you get them from? The first ones I got had some non standard colors, crossed beaks, and although I had a few sweet ones, most were pretty snarky, but no bloodshed.

The Reds I have from both Dick Horstman and Rudy Troxel are all mellow and good tempered, so maybe it is the line, or something in the water? Lol.

I'm glad I didn't give up on the breed after the first go-round :)

Where did you get them from? The first ones I got had some non standard colors, crossed beaks, and although I had a few sweet ones, most were pretty snarky, but no bloodshed.

The Reds I have from both Dick Horstman and Rudy Troxel are all mellow and good tempered, so maybe it is the line, or something in the water? Lol.

I'm glad I didn't give up on the breed after the first go-round :)

Whoops!

I meant to quote the post that had BGMatt's question with MelissaG's reply, but lost the plot somewhere...

No idea. Maybe it's just my luck. Like I said prior to this year only time I ever had near this many (and worse) bird on bird violence was with Jersey Giants and everyone says how docile they are too.
Weird! It's gotta be the water, I know I got very lucky with Hoss and Bertha (and Yule). But I would think that that would even prove the point moreover of the strong natural traits of the breed.
Hoss and Yule are about the most standup guys I have ever had in coops. Hoss has put himself between the hens and that new Bald Eagle here a couple of times this last 2 weeks.. and he goes out to check before any hens are allowed to come out when threats happen. And he just blows off Loco the E Fayouma when he starts getting stupid. Which is just freakin' hilarious
gig.gif

Perhaps its like my certain sibling, he can't help but end up with psycho chicks.. you just happen to pick feathered ones!! *ducks*
smack.gif

Or perhaps it is the line the cocks are from?
hu.gif

Last edited:
So, are Dorkings as a breed known for being real aggressive about picking on other fowl? Or is it just this line that I have? I have had to do more rearranging and isolating and more young birds bloodied this year than almost anytime in the past 20 years (I had one line of Jersey Giants that were this way too). The only common denominator in all cases has been the Dorkings were involved.
Make sure you are leaving them on grower long enough. If you are, then see if a multivitamin will help. Sometimes aggression can be caused by a deficiency, in the ability to absorb everything they need from feed and simply adding a multivitamin to the water fixes the problem. In my own grow out pens I use a multivitamin in the water 2 to3 times a week to ensure all my bases are covered.

Hi i have 2 dorking which have both gone broody the 1st has just hatched her 2ND sitting of 8 french maran chicks this year and last year she hatched 5 welsummers chicks she is a good mum and the other dorking is sitting on her 1st nest of eggs (welsummers)

dorking with her 8 french maran chicks

So, are Dorkings as a breed known for being real aggressive about picking on other fowl? Or is it just this line that I have? I have had to do more rearranging and isolating and more young birds bloodied this year than almost anytime in the past 20 years (I had one line of Jersey Giants that were this way too). The only common denominator in all cases has been the Dorkings were involved.
I have a Dorking Rooster and two Dorking hens in with my coop with other birds. I just added 11 new babies and they were accepted into the coop right away and my Dorking Rooster was the perfect gentleman and actually was trying to call them into the coop at night to get them to go to bed. Now my Comet Rooster that I had before was a pain and would chase down the babies and even at 12 weeks would try and kill them. He became dumplings and the new Dorking Rooster took over and has been amazing since he got his own girls.

My dorkings are very nice to the other birds. that's one of the things I like about them. I did have a Dorking rooster try to flog a friend of mine who was visiting once, though. so I guess he did not have the perfect temperament I'd have liked.

Thanks for all the comments. Guess its just unlucky. 3 of the 4 times I've had a bird bloodied this year it was a Cochin that was hurt so maybe that's part of the equation too (so slow feathering compared to others maybe they're picking at pin feathers, it bleeds a little and then they go after it, which I don't like but I guess is possible. ). Just kind of shocked after I've heard such great things about the breed.

Thanks for all the comments. Guess its just unlucky. 3 of the 4 times I've had a bird bloodied this year it was a Cochin that was hurt so maybe that's part of the equation too (so slow feathering compared to others maybe they're picking at pin feathers, it bleeds a little and then they go after it, which I don't like but I guess is possible. ). Just kind of shocked after I've heard such great things about the breed.
Cochins are pretty slow and clunky as chicks, personally I would nto recomend mixing them with anything else unless they were the older ones

These were all raised together. 14-15 weeks old now. Never had issues mixing breeds in 20 years. Just trying to pin down if its actually Dorkings causing issue or if it could possibly be anything else, I want to give them a shot but if they're gonna pick on other birds, that doesn't fly around here.

Back
Top Bottom