B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

It is interesting that your are also Sand Hill Reds
hmm.png

Yes, the temperament was one of the things that drew me to this breed. Had it not been for the testimonies from you folks on this thread, I would have tossed these guys out a long time ago! Plus I found hope with the second line of Red Dorkings and their more reasonable temperaments. I really like the history of this breed and hope to have a flock of SOP quality birds with the temperament, meat quality and broodiness that I have heard so much about. It just looks like it is going to take a while for this to pan out.

Has anyone here ever successfully culled for better temperament? I was once told that you could not "breed the devil" out of a mean rabbit and to get rid of it ASAP! Is the same true for chickens?
I see no reason why you couldn't select for that. I would not include it on a list of culling criteria because the standard doesn't give a darn about temperament. I think of it as something to be managed, but not selection criteria. I do know a lot of it can be genetic, I have seen all sorts of behavior quirks passed down along genetic lines, so it stands to reason that if it can be passed down through genes, then it can be selected for.

I have to disagree. I'm the one having to live with or tend to a scalped or picked on bird. If I were to have that problem, they would be among the first in the crock pot.

Having said that, I have had zero problems with picking on each other. I have the McMurray silver greys, Ki4got bloodlines, Jim McGee in TN (sandhill reds) and most currently Troxel reds. The last group is too young to credit with good or bad traits, but so far very friendly in the baby brooder and hatched out VERY strong. Nice to see.

I have to disagree. I'm the one having to live with or tend to a scalped or picked on bird. If I were to have that problem, they would be among the first in the crock pot.

Having said that, I have had zero problems with picking on each other. I have the McMurray silver greys, Ki4got bloodlines, Jim McGee in TN (sandhill reds) and most currently Troxel reds. The last group is too young to credit with good or bad traits, but so far very friendly in the baby brooder and hatched out VERY strong. Nice to see.

Note: I said culling criteria. I do not like to put up with breeds or lines that do that so I just don't raise them, there are lines of some of the asian game that must be separated at 6 weeks to avoid them from killing one another, you wouldn't want to breed them away from that, but not everyone wants to breed something like that. If they are that way one must decide to manage it or not. Nowhere in the standard does it mention temperament, therefore it is an invalid culling criteria for breeding.

Couldn't agree more (with keeping or not keeping certain breeds). BUT aren't dorkings historically known for their docile personalities?

I don't have a lot of interest in showing, so as long as I can build a typey package into those friendly personalities, I'm ok with that.
wink.png

Is Joe (YHF) still around? Maybe he could give us some insight into the whites he's had for some time now and if he's ever experienced it. I'm a first year Dorking owner so don't have any experience with them, but personality was a big reason I chose the breed.

Interest in showing or not, the Standard is what defines the breed. People don't have to like it but they can't ignore it. It's what separates the good breeders from the not so great.

I already spoke privately with YHF about it. Probably not a breed thing, just this line or the aforementioned thing with the Cochins being the problem, but will try some different management with mine and see where it goes. Either way they will be standard bred. These are livestock, not "pets".

hmmm...I'm not sure why you think I wouldn't "like" the standard nor why I wouldn't plan to breed in accordance with it? I've gone to a great deal of trouble to get a good number of youngsters to choose the best to breed from. And I've set aside a nice large area in the barn for the separate breeder pens.

Right now, all resources have gone toward this one breed and getting a good start done right. Are mine pets? Livestock? Classify them however you like. They provide compost for the garden, remove ticks from the yard, are beautiful eye candy and will one day fill the freezer. Call them part of a greater picture to a more sustainable way of life.

And I can walk into the yard without having to fight a dang rooster kicking me about the kneecaps-- NICE!

Last edited:
Agreed. If the standard doesn't address temperament, then breeding good type birds with good personalities is just as good as bad tempered from the perspective of the standard. Culling bad tempered birds is a must at our house. But we can still breed to the standard.

hmmm...I'm not sure why you think I wouldn't "like" the standard nor why I wouldn't plan to breed in accordance with it? I've gone to a great deal of trouble to get a good number of youngsters to choose the best to breed from. And I've set aside a nice large area in the barn for the separate breeder pens.

Right now, all resources have gone toward this one breed and getting a good start done right. Are mine pets? Livestock? Classify them however you like. They provide compost for the garden, remove ticks from the yard, are beautiful eye candy and will one day fill the freezer. Call them part of a greater picture to a more sustainable way of life.

And I can walk into the yard without having to fight a dang rooster kicking me about the kneecaps-- NICE!

Your comment about not having interest in showing is a frequently heard excuse for people that don't believe in breeding to standard. So sorry if I misjudged that, it is a common misconception in certain areas that the standards only apply and matter if you're showing, which is obviously not the case. I am glad to be wrong this time.

Aggression toward other birds is different than humans too. I have always raised some of the largest breeds so also have a zero tolerance policy for human aggression. Aggression toward other birds? Depends on the breed like noted previously.

No problem at all. I'm in the South, trust me, I get gamebirds. There's a pasture of them tied out not far from me. Just not for me. I also raise sebastopol geese and it is VERY nice not to have to worry about young arrogant cockbirds trying to fight and injure them if they are turned out in the same yard. Lots of real estate, but I've had issues past 2 years.

No problem at all. I'm in the South, trust me, I get gamebirds. There's a pasture of them tied out not far from me. Just not for me. I also raise sebastopol geese and it is VERY nice not to have to worry about young arrogant cockbirds trying to fight and injure them if they are turned out in the same yard. Lots of real estate, but I've had issues past 2 years.
interesting to note... you'd said your SFH roos were aggressive...

the SFH I got from you, I lost the most loving roo of the 2. I was calling him 'redneck' for his very red neck. (yeah original). hubby nicknamed him 'underfoot'. because he was. constantly. got stepped on by one horse, split the skin on his breast. I cleaned it up and superglued to hold the skin together, and it healed just fine. then he got stepped on a second time, shattered a leg... so 'underfoot' is no more. his brother 'bubba' on the other hand, isn't as 'in your face' but at the same time shows some sense as to where he needs to be when someone is walking thru the yard, whether that's people, dog, or horses. and though he's doing his roosterly duties, is showing no signs of aggression to people or other birds.

as soon as the 4 were out of quarantine they were caged inside the horse trailer (coop) with food and water for several days before I turned them loose. you'd have thought they'd grown up with the rest, as they started mingling immediately. bubba still likes to hang out by my downstairs door (near the food bins) and his girls are usually not far, but he's one roo I don't think i'll ever need to worry about sneaking up behind me. LOL

sometimes I wonder if it's the environment they're raised in that determines personality to an extent. my birds all free range as soon as possible, whether due to age or quarantine or whatnot... The only one around that bothers the chickens at all is my crazy dog who enjoys running thru the middle of the flock just to watch them scatter, and rescuing hens from the 'gang bang' juvenile thugs. he'll run thru the group tumbling the roos over and keep running, giving the hen a chance to get away. only thing ever injured is their pride I think... but the hens like to hang out with the dog a lot more lately.

as for breeds, I've got mostly dorkings, with a trio of lf blrw, bantam blrw, a young/mature trio of sfh, and a bunch of bantam cochins. all are free ranging together. yeah we have a few squabbles between roos now and then, but no 'knock down drag outs' and no people aggression. my biggest issue is finding the hidden eggs. or finding the eggs, and discovering a 5' long black snake gulping down all she could manage. LOL

at least, with an egg 3/4 the way into her gullet, she didn't run far, or fast, or have any signs of aggression to people. LOL so into a grain sack she went, for a drive down the road... I like the duties black snakes perform, except when it comes to the birds. then she can get relocated.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom