B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Thanks so much, I am wanting to help this breed so much. I am more than willing to put up with faulty birds. Did you see much in difference in type/build? What about temperament?

If I remember correctly doesn't duane urch breed coloreds?

The Urch pullet that I recently saw had the best type that I've seen, but still needed to be bigger. Out of all the lines I've had, a couple of the McMurray birds had slightly bigger size than the rest but overall I had so many negatives with them I find it hard to recommend them. Some people have received a nice start from them, some have not. It all seems like a gamble and you have to work with whatever you manage to get at this point. Temperament wise, I've only had issues with a couple of the Superior Farms birds. If you include temperament in your culling selection, that won't be an issue. Overall, I think Dorkings tend to be docile chickens, but I've not owned many breeds.
I think I've seen Urch listed somewhere as having Coloreds. You might ask him and see. I hope Karen on here (ki4got) gets organized with her Colored Dorking breeding. I'd like to see someone with the expertise to take on that variety. I don't recommend that one for a newbie.
Best wishes!

I find sexing day old SG Dorking pretty easy. I will send you a pdf that helped me when I started and found it to be spot on.
Have fun, we love raising them.
Lisa

Quote: well, my colored went further down the list of projects, since I've also lost my red rooster. now all I have to work with are 2 silver greys. my newest guy with gene Patterson lines, and my older guy with mcmurray lines... i'm getting some breeding pens finished too, so I can start separating groups a bit more.

I've got a number of older hens for sale too, but not sure yet exactly which ones, until I get a chance to weigh them all and compare type.

Are these photos (with the children holding chicks) SG or Red? Boy, they sure are CUTE!
Here are the pictures shortly after hatch, and I inserted comments on who turned out to be who above each picture:
Some are fairly obvious but others not so much! You could look at some of these and see if your flecks/no flecks rule would be applicable, but of course it's a different strain/line than your own too...

I breed white Java...have over 100 of them right now, they are very large as you can see.
cool.png

My Silver Grey Dorkings are from Karen ? I can't remember the name of her farm but the website has a Silver Grey Dorking on it. I want to say it was called KV Farm or something like that?
Thanks for the help, I'm thinking lots of females at this point.

I'm guessing mostly females on the left, looks like a male on the right behind the white Java, behind the other Dorking.
They're beautiful chicks
big_smile.png

How did you get a white Java?

Are these photos (with the children holding chicks) SG or Red? Boy, they sure are CUTE!
Quote: Saz's chicks are reds from my flock (before I lost my roo), and yes, the silver greys I guess are mine too! YAY! KMV Farm btw.

trying to figure out who you are, since I sent so many eggs but only 2 shipments were via email not byc... oh wait. you're in ca not fl... that narrows it down. LOL

glad to hear you had a good hatch! so many were scrambled by usps this year...

i'm anxious to see how they develop. all the eggs I've set so far have had incubator issues (fan went bad and vibration scrambled near-to-hatching eggs, then hubby accidentally unplugged the bators a few days ago - waiting to see if they're still viable - due sept 4th.)

Great, somehow I misplaced your emails. I'm so glad to let you know how the hatch went. I have a broody Java Mama raising them for me.
love.gif
Thank you for sending so many extra eggs!

I breed white Java...have over 100 of them right now, they are very large as you can see.
cool.png

My Silver Grey Dorkings are from Karen ? I can't remember the name of her farm but the website has a Silver Grey Dorking on it. I want to say it was called KV Farm or something like that?
Thanks for the help, I'm thinking lots of females at this point.
Karen from Turlock?

She is Sweandgrow here but has reduced her flock. I do not know what she has now.

Back
Top Bottom