B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Anyone have any experience with Sandhill Preservation's Dorkings?
yes, I ordered last year and this year... last years, I didn't know what to expect and was disappointed by how they grew, compared to my sg's... BUT they matured out just as nice, if not better in some cases. they just went thru a leggy stage my sgs never have, so it threw me off big time. (colored and reds, the few sgs I got I wasn't impressed with). this years, I lost a few due to shipping, but had some heavy losses due to a power failure (they got too cold too early). I've got 1 right now penned because he got his leg stepped on by TDBH! (that danged blind horse!) aka Grace, my going on 30 blind Morgan mare. nobody sees her as a threat because she moves so slowly! I don't know if it'll heal properly or not... it looks like the nerve may be affected because his toes are curling up some, but he's moving on it better today, so we'll see.

the bone wasn't broken, but he had some tendon damage I think. he got lucky there. lost a sfh roo to a shattered leg (same horse). he was a favorite and hubby had to put him down... I wasn't home.

one of the many hazards of free ranging chickens I guess. the horse has gotten more this year than the predators have all together, although the predators took the ones most needed. primarily the protective roos, like a mille fleur cochin bantam and my red dorking roo... crossing fingers this Sandhill boy pulls thru, or else i'm up a creek with my reds (for now).

Anyone have any experience with Sandhill Preservation's Dorkings? from Chesterchook

Yes, I ordered their reds in 2012, and have been overall happy with them. They are somewhat of a mixed bag, but I got enough good ones to start a breeding program. You can probably get better quality birds from a dedicated Dorking breeder, but you'd likely have to hatch shipped eggs, or ship adult birds, unless you were fairly close to the breeder. Very few private breeders are set up to ship day-old chicks.

If you click on my avatar and link to all my posts at BYC, you can read specific details of my flock, and about the Sandhill ordering process, that I've written over the last year.
--April

Does anyone have any use for three Dick Horstman SGD cockerels? They are SOOOOO sweet, they are shoulder chickens. Alas, I have decided not to do Dorkings any longer, and they will go in the freezer, regardless of their great personalities. I am at 72901.

Does anyone have any use for three Dick Horstman SGD cockerels? They are SOOOOO sweet, they are shoulder chickens. Alas, I have decided not to do Dorkings any longer, and they will go in the freezer, regardless of their great personalities. I am at 72901.

do you have any pics of them? I don't think I've seen any of his sg's...

Karen, does he look familiar ?
wink.png

Last edited:
I thought so too, but he was the only red and much more "leggy" than the pics make him look. I have 2 SGs (one has gold leakage) and 2 golds from your group and 6 pullets of varying shades of red and one weeble hen.
I do have 4 Troxel red cockerals, but they are only babies - 3 months. In the winter, I might can ship you a red depending on how everybody grows out. should know more in December, and what a great present for yourself *lol*

Back
Top Bottom