B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

I need to post some pictures of my Reds from this season's hatching. Where does the time go? These are my second generation and I am pretty pleased with what we got. I will get them on here eventually....

Dorkings are such beautiful birds!
big_smile.png

for anyone wanting to make a drive of it, I do have 2 girls for sale... one is from the gene Patterson line I got, and the other one of my original girls. the only reason i'm selling them, the 'older girl' (spring '11) is slightly smaller than the rest of the girls, and the Patterson girl is annoyingly broody. LOL she's been broody for 3 of the last 4 months, almost constantly. if I don't give her chicks she will incubate an empty nest. if I do she's ok at it, but then quits when they're a couple weeks old and goes back to sitting on eggs. LOL
Am working with some whites and silvergreys. We are in Bramwell WV. - I think 2 hours from Roanoke What size are you silvergreys? Mine for the moment are not up to standard in weight?

Quote:
mine are also not at standard weight, the girls are good typed but vary between 5-5.5 pounds. they've been free ranging so tend to be leaner than those with free choice, and also one's been chronically broody so is a bit thin too. but she's off the nest now so should start picking up again.

Hi all,
I am very interested in Dorkings,
From what I have gleaned about the breed, is that they are very sweet, patient with kids, quiet, an ancient breed, and just overall very great!
I do have a few questions though:
1. Do they lay a descent size egg?
2. Murray McMurray Hatcheries are the only place that I have found in British Columbia Canada (via another hatchery), are they ok for getting chickens from? I mean, are Dorkings good from them?
3. I live in Victoria, which gets pretty wet in the winter, and because they (Dorkings) are shorter, how are they with wet feet/legs? Meaning, do they do well in wet locations?
Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom