B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Well, just got back tonight from the show in Knoxville. my first ever showing.

I took 5 Dorking girls with me (the roos were still growing feathers), 2 sg, 2 red and my 1 colored. the colored got BV/BB, and I got BV on the sg and reds too... granted the participation was a bit slim on Dorkings, but my colored girl winning the breed surprised me. wish I could have picked the judge's brains, but don't even know which judge did them. there were a number at the show, with 5500+ birds entered.

there were a number of people commenting that my girls were some of the nicest Dorkings they've seen in years, and I thought they were maybe about average. only the sg's were my own breeding, the colored was from sandhill and the reds were tice/horstman breeding.

maybe we can get organized and get a better showing of the eastern Dorkings for this time next year, which will be the APA eastern nationals (in Knoxville). even if you think your birds might only be 'average' or 'need work' I think getting them SEEN may be as important for getting more people interested in them. I would have loved for Craig Russell to make the show, but he said it was a bit far for him to go.

if we could get enough dorking interest for next year I'm sure he'd make an effort to come give his 2c... maybe even show a few of his own (or bring some to sell! LOL)

Last edited:

I took 5 Dorking girls with me (the roos were still growing feathers), 2 sg, 2 red and my 1 colored. the colored got BV/BB, and I got BV on the sg and reds too... granted the participation was a bit slim on Dorkings, but my colored girl winning the breed surprised me. wish I could have picked the judge's brains, but don't even know which judge did them. there were a number at the show, with 5500+ birds entered.

there were a number of people commenting that my girls were some of the nicest Dorkings they've seen in years, and I thought they were maybe about average. only the sg's were my own breeding, the colored was from sandhill and the reds were tice/horstman breeding.

maybe we can get organized and get a better showing of the eastern Dorkings for this time next year, which will be the APA eastern nationals (in Knoxville). even if you think your birds might only be 'average' or 'need work' I think getting them SEEN may be as important for getting more people interested in them. I would have loved for Craig Russell to make the show, but he said it was a bit far for him to go.

if we could get enough dorking interest for next year I'm sure he'd make an effort to come give his 2c... maybe even show a few of his own (or bring some to sell! LOL)
Congratulations Karen!!!!

It doesn't surprise me that a Sandhill CD did so well. While their CDs won't all be great, two of my Sandhill "reds" turned out to be colored. They are the best of the group from a conformation standpoint, and one of them is SOP in size.

Nice, especially for your first show. I'd like to see photos of your Colored hen, too.
Were there other Dorkings entered, besides yours?
Seems like there are lots more people showing Dorkings this year and that is good.

Could you post some pics of a colored pullet or hen. If you would I would really appreciate it!

I didn't have my camera with me this weekend, so unfortunately I didn't get any good pics of them. someone may have, though... I'll take pics of her when the weather improves some and I don't have to worry about the camera getting wet...

I have a silver male around 5 pr 6 months old and he is just beautiful! I <3 him!! He is fast and will attack when in his pen but if he is let out he is fine. I have noticed he is more aggressive with the men (my husband) and he has not even bite me or spurred me(yet). I cuddle his face :) He has been my baby since we got him... He was a surprise in our shipment. He is HUGE though! I plan to show him this summer along with the Silver Ameracana Roo we have.
HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend Dorkings!!
celebrate.gif
BY the way..his name is Dork
wink.png

my first SG dorking male didn't like men, too. None of my other roosters have ever been in the least bit aggressive. I often wonder if it was BECAUSE I socialized him so well. the other ones I have left alone and have a helathy respect for humans. Now I try to socialize the girls, but not the boys. seems to be working as I have 15 boys freeranging and they are all perfectly fine.

other theory is because there are so many, they have enough to worry about with each other...LOL. the first one was by himself.

whatever. it's working.

my first SG dorking male didn't like men, too. None of my other roosters have ever been in the least bit aggressive. I often wonder if it was BECAUSE I socialized him so well. the other ones I have left alone and have a helathy respect for humans. Now I try to socialize the girls, but not the boys. seems to be working as I have 15 boys freeranging and they are all perfectly fine.

other theory is because there are so many, they have enough to worry about with each other...LOL. the first one was by himself.

whatever. it's working.
You are making me miss my SG Dorking Rooster!

The only thing he did not like was the orange Black and Decker lawn mower....

Back
Top Bottom