B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

No, the McMurray strain of Silver Grey Dorkings is not color/feather sexable at hatch, however mine last year were all sexable by 6 weeks of age, some a little sooner. :)

Our SGD from MM were sexable by color - but out of 8 chicks - 2 males and 6 females - I only had 2 females survive :( Very frustrating. I may try to order some from Ideal next spring. Although if anyone in Georgia happens to have an extra male, I'm all ears :)

No, the McMurray strain of Silver Grey Dorkings is not color/feather sexable at hatch, however mine last year were all sexable by 6 weeks of age, some a little sooner. :)
Okay thanks, I am a little worried because I order 3 pullets and 1 cockerel yet none had any blue markings on their head like the buff orp cockerels did. So I don't know if they are just too dark to mark or if they gave me 4 pullets and marked the box saying they sent a cockerel. But since they aren't color sexable I still have hope. :)

Thanks

Last edited:
Our SGD from MM were sexable by color - but out of 8 chicks - 2 males and 6 females - I only had 2 females survive :( Very frustrating. I may try to order some from Ideal next spring. Although if anyone in Georgia happens to have an extra male, I'm all ears :)

Did they look like the pics on feathersite? Or were they slightly different yet still different. One of my chicks markings aren't quite as defined, but that might be my wishfull thinking. \

Oh well I guess only time will tell.
smile.png

Okay thanks, I am a little worried because I order 3 pullets and 1 cockerel yet none had any blue markings on their head like the buff orp cockerels did. So I don't know if they are just too dark to mark or if they gave me 4 pullets and marked the box saying they sent a cockerel. But since they aren't color sexable I still have hope. :)

Thanks

Oh and why did only 2 survive?

Our SGD from MM were sexable by color - but out of 8 chicks - 2 males and 6 females - I only had 2 females survive :(  Very frustrating.  I may try to order some from Ideal next spring.  Although if anyone in Georgia happens to have an extra male, I'm all ears :)
Yeah in interested too why only 2 survived ..I've had some health issues and and currently intensively nursing an Ancona and cream legbar

Yeah in interested too why only 2 survived ..I've had some health issues and and currently intensively nursing an Ancona and cream legbar

It was an issue only with the dorkings.

My first order, I ordered 3 females and a male. Within 48 hours, the male and 1 female died (out of 35 chicks, I only lost the 2 dorkings and 1 salmon faverolle. I had 4 faverolles make it.)

Then I piggy backed on someone else's order that was within driving distance (@abmaddox1981 ) and ordered 4 straight run. I got 3 females and 1 male. Within two days, 2 females had died. I lost the male a day or two after that and the female died a couple of days later. They were in with other chicks and I had no losses of the other breeds. Abmaddox ordered I believe 10 dorkings for herself and lost 6 within 2 days.

That doesn't sound good for the McMurray Dorkings!
Has anyone tried Ideal yet?

A friend of mine ordered 7 females and 2 males from Ideal through the local feed store's "Heritage Days" promotion. All lived, but one of the males was a chronic poor-doer, and she finally slaughtered him when he was 6 months old, miserable and 1/3 the size of the other male. The other 8 birds grew very well and have remained healthy. Now, they're not the best quality SG Dorkings, but they are Dorkings and they lived and grew well.

Another option is Sandhill Preservation Center. They're not a traditional hatchery, and customer service is non-existent, but they do have Dorkings available. Be sure you read and accept their customer service and shipping policies before you order, as patience is absolutely required. I received Red Dorkings from them in 2012, and all 13 lived and are very vigorous. Quality was variable, but there were enough males and females of adequate quality to start a breeding flock. Last year another friend ordered 10 Colored Dorkings from them. She received 11 and one died the first day, so she got the 10 that she paid for. I don't have all the details, but she said that some of them were good and some were not that great, but I think they all lived to adulthood.

Urch and Horstman are large private breeders that might also be able to provide chicks.

Back
Top Bottom