B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

I'm in Oklahoma and have received my Dorkings from private breeders and have had terrible luck with them. I finally have a pair that I adore, but I had to buy them full grown, because every chick I've hatched has died young. I haven't gotten any fertile eggs out of my pair, but I haven't figured out why yet. The eggs haven't been fertilized, so I just did a trim on Lady Dingwald, but then yesterday Lord Dingwald flew over the fence and got dog-mauled. I have him inside and it's touch and go right now, but last night he was beak-down in his bed with an almost totally black comb, and this morning his comb is half black, half red, and he was head up, looking around. I know he took a drink, which is a good sign.

I'm in Oklahoma and have received my Dorkings from private breeders and have had terrible luck with them. I finally have a pair that I adore, but I had to buy them full grown, because every chick I've hatched has died young. I haven't gotten any fertile eggs out of my pair, but I haven't figured out why yet. The eggs haven't been fertilized, so I just did a trim on Lady Dingwald, but then yesterday Lord Dingwald flew over the fence and got dog-mauled. I have him inside and it's touch and go right now, but last night he was beak-down in his bed with an almost totally black comb, and this morning his comb is half black, half red, and he was head up, looking around. I know he took a drink, which is a good sign.

Hope he pulls through. They're terrible at flying over fences. I've put multiple internal fence lines through my property. Usually a bird will fly over one fence, but not go over too many fences if the rest of the flock doesn't follow closely. That takes advantage of their strong flocking behavior, and keeps them inside a safe perimeter. Fence height didn't seem to help. I've had multiple Dorkings fly over my 8 foot deer fencing with only a little effort, and I had a hen fly out of a 12 foot enclosure once just by flying up as high as she could go, grab the wire with her feet, then continue flapping her wings and simply walk straight up the wire to the top and jump out. You can minimize their wonderings, but I not convinced you can keep them in without trimming their wings or keeping them in a pen with a top. So far the multiple fence lines and the flock bond has worked well. The rooster easily flies over the five foot fence, but doesn't leave the protected area, even when most of his hens follow him over.. As long as some stay behind, he will stay within sight to protect them.

quote name="Kyzmette" url="/t/118388/b-y-c-dorking-club/4830#post_13285558"]I'm in Oklahoma and have received my Dorkings from private breeders and have had terrible luck with them. I finally have a pair that I adore, but I had to buy them full grown, because every chick I've hatched has died young. I haven't gotten any fertile eggs out of my pair, but I haven't figured out why yet. The eggs haven't been fertilized, so I just did a trim on Lady Dingwald, but then yesterday Lord Dingwald flew over the fence and got dog-mauled. I have him inside and it's touch and go right now, but last night he was beak-down in his bed with an almost totally black comb, and this morning his comb is half black, half red, and he was head up, looking around. I know he took a drink, which is a good sign.[/quote]

I hope he pulls through.

Last edited:
Hello all. I am posting to subscribe. Just brought home my first silver dorking chicks tonight. I think I have 2boys and 2 girls based on the color sexing research I have done.. any advice about the breed? I can't wait to ee thm grow. I'll get better pics this weeken.

yeah...that's what it looks like to me, too. 2 boys and 2 girls.

the breed is very friendly if you acustom them to human contact. best personalities of almost all my chickens. laid back and interested in what you are doing. congrats on your new babies!

Good news about Lord Dingwald! Yesterday morning, he woke me up (from his tub at the foot of my bed) crowing! I kept him inside (in the bathroom) one more night, and put him back outside with Lady Dingwald this morning. My fingers are crossed that everything stays good. He's missing some patches of skin, a lot of feathers, and has some puncture wounds, but apparently nothing that damaged anything internal.

Puddin Fluff, you will LOVE your Dorkings! If you spend time with them to accustom them to you, they are downright affectionate. The boys, especially.

Go out and buy eggs to color for Easter while 4 dozen brown eggs from our hens sit in the refrigerator begging to be used? No thank you, not this year. Our red dorkings have it under control! :)

Back
Top Bottom