B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

If anyone is within reasonable distance (can't ship) I have several Red Dorking cockerels available from the Roger Tice lines.

:frow. Good luck caj. I have a a silver boy who is finding a new home soon. One of the Ext. Agents will be taking him and a girl when they get a bit bigger. He's already crowing but he hasn't started chasing the girls yet so he can stay a bit longer.:D:D

Again still looking for dorkings. I am having a transport of geese coming from Tx to Nh. If there is anyone along route or nearby who would haveanything. Older or chics would appreciate hearing from you. Would like several of the different colors . Thanks

Again still looking for dorkings. I am having a transport of geese coming from Tx to Nh. If there is anyone along route or nearby who would haveanything. Older or chics would appreciate hearing from you. Would like several of the different colors . Thanks

Caj1985 has some cockrels. You might pm her. We are in Arkansas. It might fit your route. :)

Topic: If I Don't Have Silver Gray Dorking Pullets, What *Do* I Have?

I recently bought two 17 week old pullets from a fellow advertising them as Silver Gray Dorkings on Craigslist. When I visited his home and spoke to him, he told me that he'd ordered the pullets from Murray McMurray Hatchery as baby chicks. I totally believe him because he seemed completely on the up and up, and he only had three pullets to sell. He wasn't trying to make a bunch of fast money reselling a lot of hatchery chicks. Also, his teenage daughter was part of the conversation and explained that they'd ordered the minimum allowable number of Dorkings and Cochins in February so she could decide which breed she wanted to focus on for 4-H. She'd settled on the Cochons, and there were indeed 6 or 7 pretty, standard Cochin pullets running around. I mention all this to say that I do believe his claim that he ordered these "Silver Gray Dorking" pullets as chicks from Murray McMurray.

So anyway, I brought two of them home. They're sweet and friendly, and extremely pretty pullets. However, they look smaller than the SGD pullets I see in online photos, and I have noticed that they both have a (very pretty) rose.coloring covering their chests that, again, I am not seeing in online photos of SGD hens. Today was the aha moment, however, when I noticed that neither of the alleged pullets has the characteristic Silver Gray Dorking 5 toes. They both have only 4 toes. As I understand it, that means that neither pullet can be a purebred Dorking, period.

So what the heck do I have? Here are some photos of one of the pullets, including feet. They both look pretty much exactly alike. In fact they're very hard to tell apart. Any guesses as to what these pullets could be? And why would a major hatchery be selling particular breed of purebred chicken that's so obviously *not* purebred per the most notable physical characteristic of that breed? That seems especially sad in the case of an endangered, ancient breed like the Dorking.

Topic: If I Don't Have Silver Gray Dorking Pullets, What *Do* I Have?
I'm going to guess, possibly Silver Phoenix. Just a guess based on the smaller shape and long length.

I haven't ever heard of McM SGDs having only 4 toes, but it's a possibility. But, looking at those photos, I don't see Dorking. Those birds look so petite in structure. Maybe it was a simple mix up either by the seller or hatchery, but I can't see McM making a mistake like that.

I'm going to guess, possibly Silver Phoenix. Just a guess based on the smaller shape and long length.

I haven't ever heard of McM SGDs having only 4 toes, but it's a possibility. But, looking at those photos, I don't see Dorking. Those birds look so petite in structure. Maybe it was a simple mix up either by the seller or hatchery, but I can't see McM making a mistake like that.

I agree

Quote: X3

I've seen several pictures of the MMcM SG Dorkings, and none have ever looked like that, Some lines can be a little gangly at 17 weeks, but those birds just don't look like Dorkings. I like the Silver Phoenix possibility. That tail length and tail carriage, plus the leg length and body shape. There is a thread on BYC for people to post pictures of their birds to ask if anyone knows what breed is in the picture. I've been absolutely amazed at how some people can tell breeds by the smallest characteristics. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom