B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Thank you SO much to everyone who took time to review the photos and reply. I totally agree (now that I've done the research that I should have done before I excitedly brought my "Dorkings" home) that my pullets are actually young Silver Duckwing Phoenix hens. These aren't chickens we ever would have selected from any written description, but now that we have them, we quite like them. I will like them WAY better if when they start laying, they turn out to be the surprisingly productive little hens that many owners describe online. I already find my Silkies (which I keep for our youngest children to enjoy, and they do) to be pretty darn good layers, despite what some might tell you. I'm hoping that my new "ornamental" Phoenix pullets will be the same way. Again, big thanks :)

this is Sally my sweet Dorking pullet

Thank you SO much to everyone who took time to review the photos and reply. I totally agree (now that I've done the research that I should have done before I excitedly brought my "Dorkings" home) that my pullets are actually young Silver Duckwing Phoenix hens. These aren't chickens we ever would have selected from any written description, but now that we have them, we quite like them. I will like them WAY better if when they start laying, they turn out to be the surprisingly productive little hens that many owners describe online. I already find my Silkies (which I keep for our youngest children to enjoy, and they do) to be pretty darn good layers, despite what some might tell you. I'm hoping that my new "ornamental" Phoenix pullets will be the same way. Again, big thanks :)

My silkies were fabulous layers, they were very dependable

Hey guys, an SOP question about toes: should the back toes be wide and open like an L or close and tight, almost fused? I am thinking wide is correct but just wanted confirmation. Thanks.:D

The 4th and 5th toes should not be tight or fused or arise one from the other. It should be more of an open "L," If you to the top right of this page, where it says "recent images on this thread" there is a bar between those words and the pictures. To the right side of the gar there is a spot that says "view all." Click that and it will let you see all the pictures that have been posted on this thread. On Sept 4, 2012, Capay Chick posted a picture of the sihollette of a rooster that shows the toes quite well. This is a mature rooster, so there is also a horizontal spur.

Last edited:
Thanks for rhe response. I thought wide was correct. I will check out the pics. I have 3 girls and I am looking at a 4h show at county fair in Sept. We have to thin the flock before that and I knew toes were important. That will help me with early selection. :)

Thanks for rhe response. I thought wide was correct. I will check out the pics. I have 3 girls and I am looking at a 4h show at county fair in Sept. We have to thin the flock before that and I knew toes were important. That will help me with early selection. :)

Since you'll need to know SOP information to select for showing at the fair, you can get SOP guidelines at no charge by going to the Dorking Breeders Club website, http://dorkingbreedersclub.webs.com/. They have a list of the point system, general characteristics, and specifics for each color. You can access that area of the site without being a member. However, membership is free, so if you join you can have access to the entire site.

Have fun showing.

my first dorking! And i dont think she will be my last! Only about 1 month old. After raising my american reds who give me lots of awesome eggs i started researching breed personalities looking for more of a low key bunch of birds to add in. I got Illy my lovely dorking, a male and female faverolle, and an australorp. by far out of this crew Illy is fast becoming my favorite bird.

my first dorking! And i dont think she will be my last! Only about 1 month old. After raising my american reds who give me lots of awesome eggs i started researching breed personalities looking for more of a low key bunch of birds to add in. I got Illy my lovely dorking, a male and female faverolle, and an australorp. by far out of this crew Illy is fast becoming my favorite bird.

I know the feeling. After the first one you want more.

Since you'll need to know SOP information to select for showing at the fair, you can get SOP guidelines at no charge by going to the Dorking Breeders Club website, http://dorkingbreedersclub.webs.com/. They have a list of the point system, general characteristics, and specifics for each color. You can access that area of the site without being a member. However, membership is free, so if you join you can have access to the entire site.

Have fun showing.
Thanks. That was going to be my next question: color. I have two girls who are growing out slightly different colors. One is grayer and the other is a lighter tanish gray. I am thinking the gray is the more correct color from what I have looked at. Our fair is very small. I am just want to show the best bird to highlight the breed. We have such a limited amount of breeds shown that I like to pop ours in as much for the education factor as to actually win anything. Of course the kids do enjoy the ribbons.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom