B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Due to fertility issues, I was forced to bring new blood into my Silver Grey flock. Last year I spoke with a gentleman from a hatchery in upstate NY who very proudly proclaimed that his SG's are "very near standard". I was so excited to get my babies this spring and drove 12 hours there and back to pick them up.

Now I'm feeling disappointed because it seems like so few of them are breedable. Clearly, they are further from standard than even my MMcM birds. I only got 13 and now I know I should have gotten more because I think I'm down to two okay cockerels and maybe 3 or 4 pullets. Not only do almost all of them have bad toes (very webbed 4th and 5th toes, duck toes, knobs where a 6th toe started) but they also have questionable coloring.

Here's my question: are incorrect breast colors on pullets shed during the first moult (when is that, around 6 months?)? And if not, is incorrect color an easy thing to fix if the pullet is put with a correctly colored male?

I have pictures so let me show you what I mean. The first picture is of a girl with a great salmon color to her breast, but her head is very dark. Breedable?

Where did these come from? How old are they in these pictures, and when where these pictures taken.

They came from The Poultry Hatchery in upstate New York (can't remember the town off the top of my head), I took these pictures yesterday, and the birds are about 11 weeks old.
I have extra roosters that I got from Dick Horstman. I am keeping two but I think I have 3 others that you can look at and choose from if you want.

Oh, Lily, yes, that would be fantastic! How old are they? We're headed to Seattle this week so can I contact you when we get back?
We got them them on the 23rd of April and they are growing well and beautiful. You can give me a call when you are ready and come take a look at them. They are quite characters. I want to keep two because I have no roosters for my dorkings right now but I have 5 total and would rather find them homes than eat them since they are all very nice.

We got them them on the 23rd of April and they are growing well and beautiful. You can give me a call when you are ready and come take a look at them. They are quite characters. I want to keep two because I have no roosters for my dorkings right now but I have 5 total and would rather find them homes than eat them since they are all very nice.

Thank you, Lily! I'll call you when we get back.
1f60a.png

They came from The Poultry Hatchery in upstate New York (can't remember the town off the top of my head), I took these pictures yesterday, and the birds are about 11 weeks old.

Look at how many breeds that place is selling (I googled it). Many of them are very difficult breeds. The photos are most likely not of their breeding stock. All these things should be red flags for anyone wanting standard bred birds.

I'm sorry for your bad experience.

Look at how many breeds that place is selling (I googled it). Many of them are very difficult breeds. The photos are most likely not of their breeding stock. All these things should be red flags for anyone wanting standard bred birds.

I'm sorry for your bad experience.

I talked to the owner for quite a while last fall about them. He knew a lot and talked his up. He made it sound like they were a "specialty" or pet project of his. Oh, well. Another setback but I can overcome it.
263a.png

I am interested in adding some Dorkings to my flock as I phase out other breeds. My family has varried interests (me eggs and good mothers, dh meat, daughter personality) and the dorkings seems to meet all three. I never have heard anyone mention heat tolerance for them. Anyone ever have any issues with hot summers? Also...any input on where to acquire some decent birds would be appreciated. Im not keen on hatcheries or shipping eggs as I do not have a reliable broody now and have avoided an incubator...as I would have no self control lol. so if anyone knows of a place in central-south central us that has them I would love to hear from you.

Back
Top Bottom