B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Thanks Sydney Acres.

I'm not personally after obtaining blacks for my flock (happy to keep improving my SG's), was just curious to see what they looked like. Thanks for the link.

I got some red Dorkings at the beginning of June and they are about 19 weeks old now. I'm mostly new to chickens, although we did have some a few years ago for about a year and a half. I'm really happy with our birds (3 hens and 2 roos) and every day seems like something new as I watch them mature.

Our primary interest is a small, self- sustaining backyard flock for meat and eggs but I'm intrigued enough by breeding that I do want to learn and at least do what I can to improve my flock.

I had planned the two cockerels, figuring I'd decide which I liked best and prepare a nice meal with the other. Well, they're getting rather assertive and I think that time is close. :)

I'm attaching some pictures and would like to know how our birds look to experienced Dorking owners. Which roo should I keep? How do the ladies look?

Last edited:
I got some red Dorkings at the beginning of June and they are about 19 weeks old now. I'm mostly new to chickens, although we did have some a few years ago for about a year and a half. I'm really happy with our birds (3 hens and 2 roos) and every day seems like something new as I watch them mature.

Our primary interest is a small, self- sustaining backyard flock for meat and eggs but I'm intrigued enough by breeding that I do want to learn and at least do what I can to improve my flock.

I had planned the two cockerels, figuring I'd decide which I liked best and prepare a nice meal with the other. Well, they're getting rather assertive and I think that time is close. :)

I'm attaching some pictures and would like to know how our birds look to experienced Dorking owners. Which roo should I keep? How do the ladies look?

Welcome to BYC!

Can't wait to see your birds.

I had planned the two cockerels, figuring I'd decide which I liked best and prepare a nice meal with the other. Well, they're getting rather assertive and I think that time is close.
smile.png

They are still young to make judgements. They look ok in those photos. You need to know if they have any defects or dqs, which are important even in Dorkings intended for production since Dorkings have always been a dual purpose fowl. Always keep a minimum of two roosters, since something could happen to one and then you would be out of business. If by assertive, you mean aggressive, you don't want that.

Hi everyone! Brand new here :) I've been looking for Dorkings like crazy and everywhere seems to be done till spring and I can't seem to find a breeder near South Carolina. Any help? Any one have chicks or hatching eggs?!

Hi everyone! Brand new here
smile.png
I've been looking for Dorkings like crazy and everywhere seems to be done till spring and I can't seem to find a breeder near South Carolina. Any help? Any one have chicks or hatching eggs?!

You are right, most breeders are no longer selling this time of year. You might try looking on the list of names on the Dorking Breeder's Club or hatcheries, if you are in a hurry.

Back
Top Bottom