B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Hi everyone! Brand new here
smile.png
I've been looking for Dorkings like crazy and everywhere seems to be done till spring and I can't seem to find a breeder near South Carolina. Any help? Any one have chicks or hatching eggs?!
It doesn't surprise me that you are having problems finding birds this late in the year. This breed tends to take the late summer off, as they are fall/winter/spring/early summer layers. Even here in the Pacific NW, where the photoperiod is approximately 19 hours right now, all but one of my hens has stopped laying (and the one who is still laying is very poor quality, not Dorkingesque at all, which is why she's still laying).

You might be able to find someone who started their chicks very early in the year, January or February, and has new pullets starting to lay at 6 months old now or very soon. That is more likely to happen in the southern areas of the U.S., since the closer you are to the equator the longer the winter photoperiod, so the winter layers will lay better throughout the season. Even my excellent winter layers take 3-6 weeks off when the photoperiod is only 5-6 hours. (The down side of that strategy is that 6 month old pullets may not be old enough to adequately evaluate for breeding quality, so you may not be as happy with the chicks if the parent pullet later matured into an undesirable breeder.)

If you do start chicks now, be sure that you have excellent shelter for them. Those suddenly cold October nights can be hard on 8-12 week old chicks that aren't yet acclimated to such weather. In the 3 years that I lived in SC and 5 years in GA, I remember some dramatic weather changes in the early fall.

Hi everyone! Brand new here
smile.png
I've been looking for Dorkings like crazy and everywhere seems to be done till spring and I can't seem to find a breeder near South Carolina. Any help? Any one have chicks or hatching eggs?!
frow.gif
Welcome to the thread.

Sorry I can't help with finding any for you but you came to the right place. I am sure someone will show up who can.

Quote:
I'd have eggs available, if I were getting any! LOL my birds tend to be broody through June-August, they might lay a few eggs between broods, but then start their moulting. so I probably won't have any more eggs available until December/January. then I'm hatching all I can, for myself (those eggs that don't freeze solid, like last winter!)

so needless to say, with all those frozen eggs last winter, I'm behind in my hatching.

Congrats on the win! How much & what competition did you have in the English class?

To be honest, i am not sure. The total birds entered in show was 747. I was clerking for the other judge and didnt watch the English being judged. No other Dorkings were there but my 3 red pullets and 2 red pyles males. Show runs all week, I will see if I can get more numbers next time I go.

They are still young to make judgements. They look ok in those photos. You need to know if they have any defects or dqs, which are important even in Dorkings intended for production since Dorkings have always been a dual purpose fowl. Always keep a minimum of two roosters, since something could happen to one and then you would be out of business. If by assertive, you mean aggressive, you don't want that.

I have 6 hens and was under the impression 2 roos would be a bit much for them. Besides, I figure I'll end up with more roos once I start hatching.

By assertive, I mean't with the hens. They both chase them around and are starting to mount them. They aren't aggressive towards humans at all. In fact, they are all fairly skittish around me. I have 2, 5, and 7 year old kids and they are fine around them too. The birds will come near us if we're feeding them but keep their distance otherwise. I started free-ranging them in the yard and the roosters chase the hens all over the place. The first day I let them out of their run, they almost seemed to round them up when it was time to go in for the evening.

So, would it be best to hang on to both for a while? I was kinda looking forward to trying the Dorking meat that is so highly regarded :)

The hens haven't started laying yet but that can't be too far off.

I have 6 hens and was under the impression 2 roos would be a bit much for them. Besides, I figure I'll end up with more roos once I start hatching.

By assertive, I mean't with the hens. They both chase them around and are starting to mount them. They aren't aggressive towards humans at all. In fact, they are all fairly skittish around me. I have 2, 5, and 7 year old kids and they are fine around them too. The birds will come near us if we're feeding them but keep their distance otherwise. I started free-ranging them in the yard and the roosters chase the hens all over the place. The first day I let them out of their run, they almost seemed to round them up when it was time to go in for the evening.

So, would it be best to hang on to both for a while? I was kinda looking forward to trying the Dorking meat that is so highly regarded :)

The hens haven't started laying yet but that can't be too far off.

You always want at least one spare cock bird, in case you lose one and also for breeding.

You could either separate one male or make two breeding groups, each with a male and 3 hens who compliment his traits the best.

One way is to use cock #1 to breed all the hens. This makes one breeding group. You need to identify all with toe punches or leg bands. Separate both males from the hens for 3-4 weeks. Then breed all the hens to cock #2. That makes your second breeding group.

Or, do like I said above ... put cock bird #1 with the 3 hens who may balance out his defects, for one breeding group. Then put cock bird #2 with the other 3 hens, for a second breeding group.

Did the red pyles get judged?

Yes, but not being an accepted color, they cant go any further than best of variety i dont think. I am showing the variety to get the history of showing them established. Mr. Russell mentioned possibly in the future making an effort to get the color accepted if enough breeders are exhibiting/breeding it.

Back
Top Bottom