B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

We just got two 12 week old dorking pullets on Saturday. I'm already completely in love with Harriet and Hazel and they are so funny to watch scratching around in the dirt
1f604.png

Just got my first Dorkings today :weee :weee 4 girls, and a boy that is unrelated. I have been dreaming of owning some. No-one ever mentioned they even sound different to other chickens. I am enthralled! So happy with them. :love :cd :yesss:

Congrats. They are a sweet breed.

We just got two 12 week old dorking pullets on Saturday. I'm already completely in love with Harriet and Hazel and they are so funny to watch scratching around in the dirt
1f604.png

Congrats and welcome to BYC!:welcome

I am looking to begin a flock of dorkings this spring with the intent of breeding them. They seem to be the best bird for the job, as I'm looking for a dual purpose bird that is in need of preservation. From what I have heard they are hardy, family friendly, good foragers and tolerant of heat and cold.
I would love input on where to acquire good stock to start with. I prefer not to purchase from a hatchery. I toyed with the idea of sandhill preservation, but am not a huge fan of shipping chicks. I am open to purchasing eggs, or traveling to pick up the birds within a 500ish mile radius of Oklahoma City. I am more drawn to the silver, but open to other colors. Thanks in advance for any input!

I am looking to begin a flock of dorkings this spring with the intent of breeding them. They seem to be the best bird for the job, as I'm looking for a dual purpose bird that is in need of preservation. From what I have heard they are hardy, family friendly, good foragers and tolerant of heat and cold.
I would love input on where to acquire good stock to start with. I prefer not to purchase from a hatchery. I toyed with the idea of sandhill preservation, but am not a huge fan of shipping chicks. I am open to purchasing eggs, or traveling to pick up the birds within a 500ish mile radius of Oklahoma City. I am more drawn to the silver, but open to other colors. Thanks in advance for any input!
I noticed a pair of Silver Grey Dorkings in Buy/Sell/Trade about a couple hundred miles from Oklahoma City. Pricey but point of lay (they're listed in 8 weeks and older). Good luck.

If you want to hatch your own, Dr. Bramwell at the University of Arkansas Fayetteville has a wonderful breeding program with the silver grays. You must pick up the eggs and they do not give out chicks or birds just eggs, but they are free when they have extras available.

If you are interested, pm me and I can get you more info. :)

If you want to hatch your own, Dr. Bramwell at the University of Arkansas Fayetteville has a wonderful breeding program with the silver grays. You must pick up the eggs and they do not give out chicks or birds just eggs, but they are free when they have extras available.

If you are interested, pm me and I can get you more info. :)
Do you have pictures of them?

I contacted Dr. Bramwell. He no longer has Dorkings, but did suggest places to look. I also messaged the person listing the dorking pair. No response yet. The search goes on! If anyone hears of birds or eggs available please let me know! Thanks!

I contacted Dr. Bramwell. He no longer has Dorkings, but did suggest places to look. I also messaged the person listing the dorking pair. No response yet. The search goes on! If anyone hears of birds or eggs available please let me know! Thanks!

:eek: wow! That was sudden but he does occasionally change his line. I just got mine in April from the U of A. I gave a trio to my extension agent. I can find out if she is going to have eggs in the spring. I'll let you know.

Back
Top Bottom