B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

I have Red Dorkings from Sandhill. They are very standoffish - handling them is a chore. I am getting Red Dorkings next year from a lady recommended by the Breed Conservancy, hoping to find a "friendly" strain.

I have Red Dorkings from Sandhill. They are very standoffish - handling them is a chore. I am getting Red Dorkings next year from a lady recommended by the Breed Conservancy, hoping to find a "friendly" strain.
Julie in NC and Kimberly in AL both have good lines, as does Mary Wetterstrom in FL. are yours coming from one of these?

As a rule of thumb I like to provide four square feet per bird of indoor space and ten square feet of outdoor space per bird. I find this adequate to keep bad behavior and disease at bay, and with deep; litter, smells and cleanliness tolerable. I also get them free ranging a couple times a week for two to ten hours depending on my schedule.
My incubator is running. The eggs I set on 9/12 and 9/13 have produced three chicks from four eggs. The fourth egg piped early but after zipping about one third the way around quit. It may still make it out but I doubt it.

Add: I got a very odd colored chick, almost mulberry. I'll try to get a picture later.

Last edited:
As a rule of thumb I like to provide four square feet per bird of indoor space and ten square feet of outdoor space per bird. I find this adequate to keep bad behavior and disease at bay, and with deep; litter, smells and cleanliness tolerable. I also get them free ranging a couple times a week for two to ten hours depending on my schedule.
My incubator is running. The eggs I set on 9/12 and 9/13 have produced three chicks from four eggs. The fourth egg piped early but after zipping about one third the way around quit. It may still make it out but I doubt it.

Add: I got a very odd colored chick, almost mulberry. I'll try to get a picture later.

4 sq ft indoor and 10 sq ft outdoor is what I had heard and what I've been going by, but I know Dorkings can get rather large so I just wanted to double check that those figures would still be ok.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom