B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Pics
Anyone know where I can get colored/Variety of the Dorking breed in eggs? I am looking for white and Reds. Thanks!
wink.png

Quote:
What GOREGOUS birdie boos - I LOVE your girl, she is almost chocolately red with lacing, absolutely stunning! Do keep us posted on chicks
jumpy.gif

Thanks so much! They go on lock down this saturday...I can't wait! I will post pictures as soon as they hatch!

I took some pictures today of my new Dorkings. First let me say that I know the Coloreds should have single combs instead of rose, and I know that the blacks are not pure black. And I also know that my "colored" hen is too pale. Other than that, what do ya'll think of their structure? I think my colored roo is nice and meaty, and seems to be "boat shaped" but my black roo seems too narrow, and with perhaps a "squirrel tail." The hens all seem pretty good to me, but what do I know?
hu.gif
Oh, yeah, also one of the hens has bright white earlobes, so I won't be breeding her. LOL!... I make it seem that I don't even like them, but I really do love them. I just want to be honest to myself about their strong and weak points.
big_smile.png
I would love critiques because I am getting several batches of chicks, too, and I want to know what to cull and how to evaluate them. Be honest and don't worry about hurting my feelings.
thumbsup.gif

54579_dorkings_089.jpg

54579_dorkings_062.jpg

54579_dorkings_036.jpg

54579_dorkings_040.jpg

54579_dorkings_068.jpg

Quote:
Ummm - I'm TOTALLY DROOLING over that colored ROO!!!!
droolin.gif

I am assuming your "colored" hen is the lighter girl, she's almost a strawberry blonde, I love her too!
love.gif

And... your black birds are stunning, I'd be thrilled to have them in my coop - but I am a Dorking hoarder, and I just WANT them
D.gif

How do you find their personalities? It's even MORE fun if they are sweet and beautiful! I might be stalking you for some eggs in a month or two...

Again - congrats, and enjoy your new birdie boos
wee.gif

I'm curious, what defines them as a Dorking? I have a black hen that has that red necklace and looks a lot like the ones in the pictures. I was told she was a Black Sex Link when I got her...

Thanks!!
big_smile.png
The light one is the "Colored" one, or at least she came from colored parents... I don't know what she would really be called. She has dainty black tips to all her hackle feathers that don't show up in the photo, and these pale, subtle swirly patterns to most of her feathers. I really like her, too.

I LOVE their personalities!
love.gif
They already eat out of my hand and are settling in nicely. I hope the rest of the flock will accept them once quarantine time is over and they get to join the others.

Wow... my first stalker!
lau.gif
I'd love to share eggs. What colors do you have? Maybe we could do a trade.

Bubs, Dorkings are a very old breed, and have characteristicly short legs and an extra toe in the back. There are a lot of different breeds that can come in basically the same colors, but it is the bloodline essentially that makes a breed. Black sexlinks are a cross between 2 other breeds and won't breed true to type. They are great layers, though, and have lovely personalities.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
WOO HOO!!! consider yourself "officially" stalked then
lau.gif

I have tawnies, which are basically a light or muted silver gray look - my roo is RC, and of my 3 hens, 2 are RC and the other SC. I also have a dark grey hen I am planning on breeding to my Tawny roo, as I may get some of that cool chocolate coloring that is so much discussed on the Yahoo Dorking Group right now
woot.gif

I also have a trio of high quality SC Reds - they are very nice birds. My Roo (although a butt head at this point in his life) is stunning, and my girls are lovely. I have a "blonde" and "red head" as their hackle colors vary slightly. I did post some pics a month or so ago, but am happy to send you some if you prefer. Up to you
thumbsup.gif

Thanks so much for the offer - enjoy your lovies, I'm off to close mine up for the night, and turn on their "night light"
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom