B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Pics
HI, I've been away from the BYC site for a while...my Dorkings are now seven months old (tomorrow). the pullets have been laying, lovely creamy eggs, still small but getting bigger. The fourteen extra roosters are in the freezer several weeks ago. The one I kept (thank you all for your advice, when I posted oodles of pics of the boys!) is very sweet so far, gentle with the ladies, calls them when I toss out treats and lets them eat first, and is properly civil to me. Of course, he isn't mature yet, either!

Anyway, I will be posting pics of them soon, but I hope to hatch out my first eggs next spring, via broody hen. At what age do they go seriously broody? I have a couple who like to sit on the eggs in the nest box for an hour or so at a time, are they likely to be the best broodies?

I recently read in a book that if you are going to use a broody hen, you should build her nest right on the ground (thick layer of bedding and in secure shelter, but the nest right on the ground), because that will keep the humidity proper. Is this so? I never heard this anywhere else, kind of makes sense; certainly wild birds would build right on the ground, but seems a bit dangerous in terms of rainy days... what do you all think?

Quote:
Hi
frow.gif
Are you in Eastern NY?

I'm trying to remember which colors you had -- did you keep the White cockerel? Both Rex & Butch are perfect gentlemen too! Not a mean bone in their bodies.
big_smile.png

Broodies -- my Dorkings are 2 years old & haven't gone broody yet. Mine all sit for a little while then go about their business.
smile.png
If your coop is enclosed -- which I would imagine it is in NY -- you shouldn't have to worry about rainy days. Our silkies brood right on the floor in their coops with no problems. Of couse the silkies lay wherever they feel like laying. The nest box in our Dorking pen is right on the floor with a doorway for them to go in & out and has a hinged lid for us to check for eggs.

Just curious ---- why are you planning on waiting till they're over a year & a half old to breed them?

I'm hoping this is the right place to post this. I have two silver gray dorking chicks on order with the local feed store. A friend was going to take one (and I want the other) but now she is unable to take hers. The feed store requires that I buy a minimum of two, but I can't take both chicks. We have a small coop and my kids have already picked out other breeds (just can't convince them to change their minds!).

So that means I have one sweet dorking extra that I'd like to find a home for! I've asked all my chicken-raising friends but have no one interested in taking on just one chick. Is anyone here interested? Is there a better way to go about finding a home for this chick?

We are in SE PA.

I'm looking forward to hearing you advice!

LOVE the advice so far!
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

I wish the coop WERE bigger. We went small because we are the first ones in the 'hood to have chickens and didn't want to make toooo many waves. We are brand new to raising chickens and I was afraid if I crowd them, they'll do all those nasty things to each other that I've been reading about!

What are the dimensions of your coop & number of chickens?
It's also not a bad idea to have a few extra to start with in case something happens to some. Dorkings & silkies are 2 breeds that very young chicks tend to be of a delicate nature.

Ideal , SG pullets :)

I'm already driving to IOWA for Ideal SGs in 2 weeks!!!! Wrong way or I'd take her myself. Let me see if my PA contact works out...
idunno.gif

Are you SURE you don't want to keep both? I'm SURE you will like the DORKINGS BEST!!!!
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom