B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Pics
Quote:

I wish you the best of luck and the utmost cooperation of all the Dorking breeders throughout the USA...
smile.png
What might help to compile this list is talking to people that have sold large numbers of Dorkings over the last 2-3 years and to whom they were sold. I think it would be really difficult to get a list of even 70% of the breeders out there!

Quote:

I thought that I had read that you were putting together a list, so I was curious, since I like the idea.

I raise SGs. I am looking for non hatchery stock.

I just volunteered for Director of District 2.

Kim

Just a quick dorking question. I am getting some dorkings in the very near future and I am in the process of redesigning my hen boxes. Due to the slightly shorter legs that the dorking has, should I put a couple of new boxes a little lower. If so, what is the optimum height off the ground?
Or do they care a hoot at all, and will lay wherever they want. Once again, my husband says I think too much!!!

Quote:
The nest boxes in my original coop are at standard height and they have no problem getting to them. In my newer coops, I've put the boxes and roosts a little lower- 1-2 feet off the ground.

The only Dorking that I've had that ever had a problem getting up off the ground was an older rooster who just got huge.

Kim

One of my girls flies to the top of the 6 foot fence panels to let herself out... so I'd say they fly very well!
big_smile.png
Their nesting box is a community style box right on the floor in case someone decides to go broody.

Here are a few pictures of Our Dorking chicks! This will be the begining of our breeding stock that we will be culling from! The first picture is of a batch of our Colored Dorking hatching eggs. Here is the first chick pipping!! The second picture is of "Bitty" she loves to sit with you as you can see we are watching T.V. I will be posting more of our current chick pictures this evening! Shortly I will be updating our website and starting a blog of our Dorking Breeding plans!

92041_6-15-11.jpg

92041_6-16-11first_colored_dorking.jpg

Remember that stunted wings come out of the Asiatics; thus mosst American breeds can't fly worth much. Dorkings are Mediterranian type, refined for meat production, but they still have the wings. One year I had a flock of twenty or so Anconas and one Dorking pullet that had taken to roosting in a clump of maples. Wanting them to learn to roost in the coop, I took out the hand saw and pruned up...way up. The Anconas took a deep breath and then BOOM. Wasn't I ever amazed when the Dorking did the same. Why? Traditional foundational breeds from Europe can fly.

Back
Top Bottom