B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Pics
Quote:
Kim,

I am so sorry to hear that. I had horrible luck trying to hatch out some earlier this spring. I am gonna try again next year.

Quote:
Some of my little SG Dorkings droop their wings like that. I wondered if it was a medical issue. Does anyone else see this in their babies?

Dave

I had never noticed it before, but a fellow Dorking breeder pointed something similiar out to me in one of her hens, saying that it was incorrect wing position.

Do those chicks always hold their wings that way?

Kim

The only time I've seen Dorkings with droopy wings is when they don't feel well -- like coccidia. But then they just look generally unwell. The chicks in the pic look fine other than the droopiness. One of my peachicks holds her wings like that sometimes, but seems otherwise healthy.

Quote:
I thought so and I did lose some to an outbreak to Mareks Disease which tended to hit and hurt my Dorkings more than the others. (I hatched my own and didn't vacinate) But, I dosed everyone with echinacia and now it is over but some still have droopy wings and ONLY my Dorkings... But not all the dorkings do this. I have several that are absolutely beautiful hens. All the roosters are gone to the farm to become someone's dinner.

Dave

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Quote:
Actually, there is someone north of Anchorage that is raising them.
smile.png
We have a pretty close/tight-knit chicken community up here, so we try not to raise the same thing that other people are raising. One gal has Norwegian Jaerhons, another is getting the Coronation Sussex, I have the Dorkings and BBS/Lav Orpingtons, a few others specialize in bantams... I hear the Icelandics are very cool birds though.
smile.png

Heck, it's 60°F here now, but I'm sweating and it feels like 90F. Great weekend to be out on the water!!

Just wondering how the dorkings do in your harsh winters with their combs and all of that.

And what size eggs are you getting and what color????​

Back
Top Bottom