B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Quote:
I would like to know too.
smile.png

Dorkings are a excellent meat bird not such a great layer. Mine lay more in the spring early summer, then drop off and pick up a bit before winter then drop off again.
I love them anyway
love.gif

rant.gif
somad.gif
rant.gif
My broody decided NOT to be broody!!!
rant.gif
somad.gif
rant.gif

It was 26f last night and my eggs feel like ice, they were due 5 days! Any hope for them? They are filthy (she's been messing in her nest
he.gif
) and probably near frozen. It was her first time but I am not amused! These were going to be my birthday present.
hit.gif

Edit: They are in the 'bator and I'll candle them tonight but at this point I'm not holding out much hope. I hadn't candled them at all so I'll pull clears and see what the others look like.

Last edited:
*Sigh* I candled, looks like they froze.
sad.png
They are still in the 'bator at the moment but nothing looks hopeful.

I'm wondering if the sudden drop below freezing put her off. It's quite unusual for it to get that cold here and it wasn't forecast. I'd have blocked some of vents on her broody quarters if I'd known we were going to get strong wind and below freezing temps.
sad.png

Quote:
I had to laugh... it is 108 degrees here today in the middle of the US. I saw frozen and was taken aback a few minutes until I saw you were from "down under." I'm thinking it would be a good time to come for a visit!

Quote:
I think they need to be breed with egg laying in mind. I would guess they used to lay better than the ones we have today. I couldn't imagine the old time farmers having much patience with chickens that don't lay. I gave mine to a local school who is working on the breed but my girls were excellent winter layers and layed up until May then stopped. With selective breeding, I think we could improve that significantly.

I say this but as I continue to play in the rare heritage breeds, and we discuss improving the breed for show quality, I've begun to wonder more and more if we shouldn't work on utility first then toward the perfect look later. By utility, I mean egg laying, difficulty laying (vent health), and other such things. When we get those up to par then look at coloration, comb size etc and so on...

Just my thoughts...

Dave

Back
Top Bottom