B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Hello, all.
I have placed a 2012 order with Sandhill for 25 Dark Grey and Black Dorkings with "any other Dorking" as my first alternate breed choice, in case of substitution. I am very excited about their arrival as I have wanted Dorkings since I saw them in a McMurray catalog over 30 years ago. I don't know whether they will prosper in the high-humidity barn on my high-humidity farm, but I just have to give them a try.

I grew up on a farm with all sorts of random chickens, so I am not new to chickens, per se, but am brand new to breeding towards a standard. On another thread, an experienced chicken fancier expressed concern that some rare varieties/breeds have deteriorated past hope of recovery. How will I be able to tell if my Dorkings are "worth foolin'with?"

Will my Dorkings have any special housing or dietary needs? I plan to start them in a chick/quail brooder in the garage on 19% organic chick starter, with occasional mashed boiled eggs offered as treats.

I appreciate any advice or opinions you may care to offer.
Thanks.

Quote:
Here is the link to join:

http://dorkingbreedersclub.webs.com/membershipforminfo.htm

smile.png
Kim

Quote:
That's a long time to wait! I'm not sure about humidity but my Dorkings do great in high heat with low humidity. Overall, I think that they are just as hardy, if not more, than other breeds. So, I'm sure that you will do fine!

As far as breeding toward the standard, we are all working toward that goal. My experience with Sand Hill chickens in general is that they have ok type but color faults. You can always get input from people here or in the Club.

smile.png
Kim

Quote:
there's a parallel here; with my dog-breeder background...the breed standard should be written to include traits that are necessary for the animal's ability to perform its job. In the case of Newfoundland dogs, webbed feet for powerful swimming, a strong tail used as a rudder, a calm disposition and inborn attentiveness to and gentleness toward children, a low prey drive so the Newf pulling the cart with your eggs to market doesn't launch off across the countryside after a rabbit, the waterproof double coat for ocean swimming and survival in the climate of Newfoundland, Canada, and so on. If the dog is not properly constructed, either physically or temperamentally, to perform its job, it shouldn't be reproducing.

Same with chickens. What's inside is far more important (IMHO) than what's on the outside (color, number of points on a comb, etc.) Determine what allows a Dorking to be the bird it is supposed to be, breed for those traits. Gosh, that sounds simple, how come we don't have a perfect Dorking yet?!
lol.png

Quote:
That's a long time to wait! I'm not sure about humidity but my Dorkings do great in high heat with low humidity. Overall, I think that they are just as hardy, if not more, than other breeds. So, I'm sure that you will do fine!

As far as breeding toward the standard, we are all working toward that goal. My experience with Sand Hill chickens in general is that they have ok type but color faults. You can always get input from people here or in the Club.

smile.png
Kim

Yep, I got Sandhill Dorkings last fall, and lots of them have color faults...but I love them as birds! They are friendly, the roo I kept is kind to the hens (and me!), they lay well so far (started at four months), some went broody at seven months. One in particular was so fierce that I wore heavy leather work gloves and a heavy long sleeved shirt for collecting the eggs she was trying to sit on - in August! I started calling her Attila the Hen, now that she's finally done being broody, I call her Tillie. Anyway, I do like my Sandhill birds very much, as a dual purpose chicken, and plan to let them hatch some chicks next spring. My main focus at this point is utility, and I'm not sure when (or whether) I might start worrying about color correctness.

I wanted Dorkings of any color, when I ordered them, and I got quite a mix. I have to say that my black hens are the least friendly and outgoing, the silver grey hens the friendliest. Is temperament connected to color?

I have been in touch with a small scale breeder only a couple of hours away and I am getting some eggs posted to me early next week.
Silver Gray is the only colour available here in Australia that I know of.
What are the chances of getting a different colour just show up in the breeding flock? A spontaneous mutation I suppose?

The guy I am getting the eggs from mentioned that the combs on his hens are erect, not falling over to one side. He claims this is because of the diet he feeds them, ie no pellets.
The cob being over to one side part of the breed standards that i have read, is the erect comb a fault I should be aware of?

Quote:
Hiya!
welcome-byc.gif

I'm Aussie too and Reds, Whites, Darks, Red Blues and Cuckoos are all mentioned as being present in recent Royal National Canberra Poultry Show. I'm in Vic and didn't make it to the show but wish I had. This site http://www.australiandorkings.com/ can help put you in touch with other breeders and the show info is on the news page.
smile.png

As for other colors showing up, I suppose it could but honestly if I got an odd color pop up in a new flock I'd be suspicious they were crosses. Hopefully the breeder you've found is a good one and you can get a good start.

Combs should lop as you said, my hen's do, I really doubt feed has anything to do with it. Which and how many faults you can tolerate depends if you want to show and breed or just keep a few for fun. I only have a quad but they have nice type but some toe faults. I'd rather have good type and work on toes than good toes and poor type.

Hi All,

I am brand new to BYC, and even newer to this group. I got my first 20 Dorking chicks from Flip Flop Ranch (her start was from Teri in AZ) on Easter weekend this year. 2 didn't make it through the growing up process, but out of the remaining healthy 18, I have 7 Cockerels, and 11 Pullets.

I ordered eggs from Honeysuckle farms, which Mike carefully packed, and delivered to the post office on a Monday morning, in plenty of time for the Post Office to deliver them 12 (Freekin' TWELVE!!!) days later
he.gif

I have eggs eventually coming when we have a break in the heat from Brett in GA, and another batch from Mike in TX. Yep, all off Ebay.

I have had a pretty difficult time finding breeders, and unrelated stock. Or often if I find stock, the person does not know where the bloodlines came from. I am a recent member of the Dorking Breeder's Club, and the Yahoo Group, but I noticed that there was no Breeder's List/Directory on either. I asked Jim Parker about it, and I understand that they are working on one, but I have the patience of a gnat in a wind storm, and apparently too much time on my hands, so I have created a Breeder's Directory at: www.dorkings.com all it needs now is for you guys to visit, and sign up for your free listings.

I will also be happy to work with any of you that have websites with Dorking content, to provide you with your own directory, branded in your own website colors, and linked to the main database. That way, regardless of which "portal" someone uses to sign up, the information is added to everyone hosting a directory's site at once. It would of course be at no cost. Or anyone interested in Dorking Breed Preservation is welcome to link to the main site, or the directory.

This is my way of trying to contribute to the Dorking Breed, because it's something I know how to do, whereas breeding great birds, is something I am interested in, but need to learn.

I have also created a Heritage Breed and Heirloom Seed Directory (also provides free listings) at www.HeirloomandHeritage.com to accommodate all of the other heritage breeds worth our effort.

They are both a work in progress, and a labor of love, so any kind and constructive criticism is very appreciated. I have also added a link on the home page of dorkings.com for anyone that wants to share photographs, articles, etc to be able to upload them.

PLEASE NOTE: I am trying to create a place to fill the gaps, and direct people to existing sites, clubs, groups, breeders, etc. and it is in NO WAY meant to compete or conflict with sites like BYC. IN fact, the links page has a logo & link to BYC
smile.png
and we loves us some BYC!
thumbsup.gif

OOps! I can built websites I mess with .php scripts, but apparently I can't manage to hit the correct 'reply' button... And I really want to make sure you all know this potential resource is out there now. Plus, I'm excited that there are Dorking people that actually communicate, and share information! I truly believe if we don't, it will mean the death of this breed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All,

I am brand new to BYC, and even newer to this group. I got my first 20 Dorking chicks from Flip Flop Ranch (her start was from Teri in AZ) on Easter weekend this year. 2 didn't make it through the growing up process, but out of the remaining healthy 18, I have 7 Cockerels, and 11 Pullets.

I ordered eggs from Honeysuckle farms, which Mike carefully packed, and delivered to the post office on a Monday morning, in plenty of time for the Post Office to deliver them 12 (Freekin' TWELVE!!!) days later!
he.gif

I have eggs eventually coming when we have a break in the heat from Brett in GA, and another batch from Mike in TX. Yep, all off Ebay.

I have had a pretty difficult time finding breeders, and unrelated stock. Or often if I find stock, the person does not know where the bloodlines came from, or for some reason the don't want to share that info.

I am a recent member of the Dorking Breeder's Club, and the Yahoo Group, but I noticed that there was no Breeder's List/Directory on either. I asked Jim Parker about it, and I understand that they are working on one, but I have the patience of a gnat in a wind storm, and apparently too much time on my hands, so I have created a Breeder's Directory at: www.dorkings.com all it needs now is for you guys to visit, and sign up for your free listings.

I will also be happy to work with any of you that have websites with Dorking content, to provide you with your own directory, branded in your own website colors, and linked to the main database. That way, regardless of which "portal" someone uses to sign up, the information is added to everyone hosting a directory on their site at once. It would of course be at no cost. Or anyone interested in Dorking Breed Preservation is welcome to link to the main site, or the directory itself.

This is my way of trying to contribute to the Dorking Breed, because it's something I know how to do, whereas breeding great birds, is something I am interested in, but need to learn.

I have also created a Heritage Breed and Heirloom Seed Directory (also provides free listings) at www.HeirloomandHeritage.com to accommodate all of the other heritage breeds worth our effort.

They are both a work in progress, and a labor of love, so any kind and constructive criticism is very appreciated. I have also added a link on the home page of Dorkings.com for anyone that wants to share photographs, articles, etc to be able to upload them.

PLEASE NOTE: I am trying to create a place to fill the gaps, and direct people to existing sites, clubs, groups, breeders, etc. and it is in NO WAY meant to compete or conflict with sites like BYC. In fact, the links page has a logo & link to BYC
smile.png
and we loves us some BYC!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom