B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Wow, this thread got busy!

FYI- I asked Jeanne Fingar in Montana for a count on her Silver Grays. She says that she has over 50, with many of them show quality. That's what she said. That means she has the largest population of known, non hatchery SGDs in the US.

I ordered 2 dozen hatching eggs from her, a couple years ago, and ended up with one roo. "Lucky" was described by an APA judge as "not bad", but he didn't place in his one & only show. If you search through this thread, you'll find his pic, somewhere. Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain also has a roo from this strain, and we both have fertility/eggs not coming to term issues.

I also have ordered from McM and Sand Hill. IMO, McMurray's Silvers are better. The ones that I got years ago were better than the ones I've seen recently. I like Sand Hill. I admire what they are trying to do. I wouldn't order Dorkings from them again and only recommend them if you don't plan to breed for conservation. None of the Silvers that I got from them were even close to correct type and even the silver color ranges from light to dark. They were so nice, they sent me extra Colored Dorkings. They are in my eating egg coop, since I don't want the other colors, but they are pretty. The best thing about SH Dorkings is that they do go broody. They really goofed up the color in my flock though! I got a few chicks this year that are maturing with trans-gender feathering. Black breasts with striped hackle feathers on both pullets & cockerels. I have to figure out which bird is throwing those genes and put her in the egg coop!

X2 Farm, that is a very sweet pic. I know a woman, here in CA, that has a very friendly WD.

Tracydr, good luck on the move to OK. Reds would probably be easier to get in that state. I think that it might get just as hot there as AZ, though.

Kim

Quote:
Hey Green.. not really sure. I don't recall where Sand Hill or YHF got their stock from
idunno.gif
Good luck finding Dorkings! Its a tough "market" out there!

As I jump into this project I will jump in with both feet as I have my other breeds I chose to work to 'resurrect'. As of now we have 18 S/G birds about 4 months old that the eggs came out of Georgia. My situation is that I can not bring on or take off any live birds from my facilities for bio-security reasons so I (we) deal with only hatching eggs to acquire new stock but then I can disperse hatching eggs as well. I have found a source of eggs from quality Red Dorkings and will be adding those to my lines as well.

So what is the opinion of the hatcheries and their Dorking Stock? I have some quality genetic stock now but I usually deal in quantities as well as well as quality and find this the best way for me to improve genetics stock by hatching large volumes. I am thinking I MIGHT need to buy some Dorkings from commercial hatcheries and pick the best of those to add to my other birds to mix genetics and to hatch more eggs. Any ideas?

Quote:
i'm wondering where you're located? maybe you'd be willing to trade some stock. finding any quality stock to incorporate is a challenge, since most of what's available seem to be hatchery stock.

Quote:
i'm wondering where you're located? maybe you'd be willing to trade some stock. finding any quality stock to incorporate is a challenge, since most of what's available seem to be hatchery stock.

I am in NW Arkansas. I would be more than willing to swap eggs at some point to add genetic diversity. However we are not at the point yet to produce surplus eggs. I am awaiting eggs from my first birds right now and I will likely hatch nearly every egg they lay for the first few months to increase my numbers so I can cull harder from the get go. By mid next summer I should be in a position to let some eggs go.

Quote:
i'm wondering if the fertility issues are mostly with this strain or the breed in general? the eggs I had shipped from florida, and while all but 3/21 were fertile, only 2 developed beyond 18 days to hatch... wondering if it's somehow related. (same hatch i had 9/9 fertile local bantam eggs and 5 EE hatch successfully, so i'm fairly sure it wasn't incubator related)

if it's strain related, are mmcm or sand hill's any more fertile in comparison? of the 12 eggs i just sat from my trio (new to me) only 6 of the eggs are actually fertile.

Back
Top Bottom