B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

If the mystery chick is a cockel then he will need go to a new home or possibly become dinner. I really would like to develope a good line of Dorkings.

Bear in mind that your free exotic mystery chick is 99.9% likely to be a cockerel, since that's what the hatcheries always have in overabundance. Last year I thought it would be fun and then had to rehome yet another roo. I learned my lesson! No mystery chick in my order this year.

Good luck with your McMurray Dorkings. I need to post some pics of ours now that they're 10 mos. old, they turned out better than I expected. I ordered a few more for this spring and hope to get a decent cockerel out of the bunch.

Our mystery chick was a Polish Buff cockel and we love him but, beceause we only want to raise and breed Silver Gray Dorking I am trying to find a nice home for him. The Dorkings do not hassle him but I do not want him to bread the hens. So I'm trying to find a home for this fun loving Boy that I got attached to. So the short of it is if I order again I will say no to the freebe.

I have ordered several times thru the years from MM and twice I had demons from hell in the form of a polish rooster. I don't know if I was just unlucky twice or if they just have some mean strains. All of the other birds from them were pleasant and weren't destined to the stew pot.

Welcome to the thread Joyous! Beautiful birds, I particularly love the cuckoo, one of my favorite patterns on my favorite breed. Thank you for posting them.
big_smile.png

I have ordered several times thru the years from MM and twice I had demons from hell in the form of a polish rooster. I don't know if I was just unlucky twice or if they just have some mean strains. All of the other birds from them were pleasant and weren't destined to the stew pot.

LOL ditto... white crested black polis roo and sultan roo for me. and BOTH were demons from hell, tho funky, the sultan stayed around much longer if only for the comic relief. bt the aggravation finally outweighed the comedy.

now my dorkings... i think the only thing sweeter are my bantam cochins. 8)

I am trying to find breeders of the colored (salmon) and silver Dorkings. Does anyone have birds/eggs for sale?
What is the prefered comb type?

prefered comb type on the silver grey and colored are single. red comes in single or rose, and white is rose only. at least for SOP i believe. sandhill preservation center has all varieties, and some non-standard ones as well but the list is out beyond april for some varieties i think. I'm onthe list for mine (red and colored, single combs) and have some silver grey now. an adult trio and a number of young'uns between 2 and 4 months old. I have red and red / colored eggs in the 'bator too, but some may not be viable anymore. she sent all she had, including some up to a month old.
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

she also posted on the dorking breeder's club forum today about having red eggs for sale, you might hop over and check it out. I'll be getting a few of her colored hens here in a few weeks, soon as we can arrange a meet-up. then i just have to wait for my eggs to get here (from another breeder on the breeder's club website), and/or my chicks from sandhill.

good luck in your search. it's taken me a while to collect what i've got. but then again i didn't start looking until the end of fall practically.

Back
Top Bottom