B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

I agree and plan on taking and implementing any advice that you offer. I was told in the beginning of my research that you were "the" man to talk to about whites. You already had out-crossed to other colored dorkings to bring some vitality and vigor to the white line. I totally understand that your birds are the result of years of work and that starting with them will save us many years of toiling and finger crossing. I didn't want to go that route but I would have if it was necessary to get some nice whites though. In fact we have 15 whites coming from Sand Hill that we ordered in October 2011. Thinking about cancelling or changing the order now though.

I feel very fortunate to be on the list to get your whites and definitely wouldn't out-cross and know better than to go outside of the dorking variety. We want to help preserve the whites and our ears are wide open to your suggestions. And yes, if for some reason you ever need some of our birds we will be more than happy to help you the best we can.

I kind of had the idea that you are a perfectionist and figured you wanted to wait til you have your project finished. I'm that way myself but we can each only do so much with the time we have. Maybe getting more birds out there will help you find a couple real nice ones that have that special size and shape you are looking for. If we get lucky enough for something like that to happen we will be sure to let you now and even be willing to loan birds to you.

I agree and plan on taking and implementing any advice that you offer. I was told in the beginning of my research that you were "the" man to talk to about whites. You already had out-crossed to other colored dorkings to bring some vitality and vigor to the white line. I totally understand that your birds are the result of years of work and that starting with them will save us many years of toiling and finger crossing. I didn't want to go that route but I would have if it was necessary to get some nice whites though. In fact we have 15 whites coming from Sand Hill that we ordered in October 2011. Thinking about cancelling or changing the order now though.

I feel very fortunate to be on the list to get your whites and definitely wouldn't out-cross and know better than to go outside of the dorking variety. We want to help preserve the whites and our ears are wide open to your suggestions. And yes, if for some reason you ever need some of our birds we will be more than happy to help you the best we can.

I kind of had the idea that you are a perfectionist and figured you wanted to wait til you have your project finished. I'm that way myself but we can each only do so much with the time we have. Maybe getting more birds out there will help you find a couple real nice ones that have that special size and shape you are looking for. If we get lucky enough for something like that to happen we will be sure to let you now and even be willing to loan birds to you.

is it just me or does it seem the dorking breeders in general tend to be a lot like their birds? more laid back and friendlier than a lot of other breed(er)s that i've seen/met/talked to...

i've been reading on another thread and people are just going OFF on a variety of crap, and i'm so glad to be part of this breed/thread. 8)

thanks to everyone who's answered my newbie questions and put up with my ramblings and changes of plans and such. LOL soon as i make up my mind i want to do something, i learn something to change my direction slightly. kind of like those back roads here in virginia. they're never very straight, with lots of ups and downs, twists and turns, but it's a trip worth taking just for the beauty of the drive.

Hi there,

I am a complete newbie with dorkings. I've been stalking this thread. I got some chicks in last fall from Serina at Flip Flop Ranch and ordered some hatching eggs from someone else which are hatching as I type to get some genetic diversity. I've got two questions:

1. I've had chicks hatch with the cord trailing before, but only rarely. All the dorkings I've hatched from these eggs have the cord trailing, but it's appears to be falling away after a few hours. Is that something to expect with dorkings?
2. Of the young ones I already have, I have a pullet with five toes and 3 cockerels with five toes. I have another stunning (well, to me anyway) pullet with four toes. If I breed her to one of the 5 toed roos, will I get some 5 toed chicks, or will I have to resign her to laying. She is just so beautiful.

Thank you, I appreciate any help or insight you guys can give.

Debbie

In my research, I found mention of hatchability issues back in the 50's, and it was linked with a lethal gene causing what sounds like dwarfism to me... shortened beak/neck/legs and spinal deformities. but I only found description of the results found in the dead chicks, but never a named reason. so my assessment is from what's been found in other species with similar characteristics. whatever the cause, it was said to have been eliminated but I have my doubts, since it's nearly impossible to ever completely eradicate recessive genes, and all it takes is 1 bird carrying the gene to pass it along to the offspring, just waiting for 2 that carry it to meet up. In my opinion, that is probably closer to what's happenning with hatchability than anything else.

I have just gone through two hatches of SGD's with similar results (eggs came from birds obtained from McMurray last summer). Eggs quit in the incubator after the 1st week. Less than 25% actual hatch rate. So, if these dismal results are truly a case of 2 carriers meeting up,changing roos should make a difference in hatchability, right? Have you learned anything more about this? Could it be dietary, or age related? (My breeding stock are only 10 months old.)

I suppose I should muster up the courage to crack open the quitters and see what there is to see.

I have just gone through two hatches of SGD's with similar results (eggs came from birds obtained from McMurray last summer). Eggs quit in the incubator after the 1st week. Less than 25% actual hatch rate. So, if these dismal results are truly a case of 2 carriers meeting up,changing roos should make a difference in hatchability, right? Have you learned anything more about this? Could it be dietary, or age related? (My breeding stock are only 10 months old.)

I suppose I should muster up the courage to crack open the quitters and see what there is to see.
i always open my quitters, to see if anything obvious pops out at me (not literally LOL)

my poor hatches also came from mmcm stock. I'm waiting on my sandhill chicks to get here and then we'll see what i get quality wise to go to the breeding pens.

also, the hatches, while all mmcm stock, were from 3 separate flocks. not just my own birds. (tho 2 were shipped, so who knows how much USPS had to do with that too).

i'm pretty sure it's not ALL varieties, or shipped vs non-shipped. of the 23 colored eggs i got from Stephanie (from sandhill lines), 16 made it to lockdown.
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

as well as 4 of my own silver greys. the rest will go on lockdown the 29th. (reds, red/colored cross - also from sandhill stock - and more of my sg's)

I'm sorry you're both experiencing these frustrating circumstances. I wish that I could offer some incite, but, assuming you have the basics down pat (which I'm sure you do), it seems a mystery.

Hi there,

I am a complete newbie with dorkings. I've been stalking this thread. I got some chicks in last fall from Serina at Flip Flop Ranch and ordered some hatching eggs from someone else which are hatching as I type to get some genetic diversity. I've got two questions:

1. I've had chicks hatch with the cord trailing before, but only rarely. All the dorkings I've hatched from these eggs have the cord trailing, but it's appears to be falling away after a few hours. Is that something to expect with dorkings?
2. Of the young ones I already have, I have a pullet with five toes and 3 cockerels with five toes. I have another stunning (well, to me anyway) pullet with four toes. If I breed her to one of the 5 toed roos, will I get some 5 toed chicks, or will I have to resign her to laying. She is just so beautiful.

Debbie

Well, it's certainly not a variety issue. If the problem is in the birds, it's in the strain.

i always open my quitters, to see if anything obvious pops out at me (not literally LOL)

my poor hatches also came from mmcm stock. I'm waiting on my sandhill chicks to get here and then we'll see what i get quality wise to go to the breeding pens.

also, the hatches, while all mmcm stock, were from 3 separate flocks. not just my own birds. (tho 2 were shipped, so who knows how much USPS had to do with that too).

i'm pretty sure it's not ALL varieties, or shipped vs non-shipped. of the 23 colored eggs i got from Stephanie (from sandhill lines), 16 made it to lockdown.
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

as well as 4 of my own silver greys. the rest will go on lockdown the 29th. (reds, red/colored cross - also from sandhill stock - and more of my sg's)

Hi there,

Debbie

Hmmm...

1. Does "cord trailing" mean a very fine thread between 1/8 and at very most 1/2 inch long that's gone in 1-2 days? If so, no worries.

2. If a four-toed is bred to a five-toed, you'll get (some) five-toed. This is something for which you can cull at the incubator door.

If you have two pullets and three cockerels, choose the the two strongest cockerels and pair each with a pullet. Use your standard and select for ways in which the one helps to compensate for lacks in the other. Then hatch as many as you can raise well from the two pairs and be careful to toe-punch so that you keep track of the lineage of each chick. From here, you'll be able to do a lot next year.

Best,

Joseph

is it just me or does it seem the dorking breeders in general tend to be a lot like their birds? more laid back and friendlier than a lot of other breed(er)s that i've seen/met/talked to...

i've been reading on another thread and people are just going OFF on a variety of crap, and i'm so glad to be part of this breed/thread. 8)

thanks to everyone who's answered my newbie questions and put up with my ramblings and changes of plans and such. LOL soon as i make up my mind i want to do something, i learn something to change my direction slightly. kind of like those back roads here in virginia. they're never very straight, with lots of ups and downs, twists and turns, but it's a trip worth taking just for the beauty of the drive.

Well, if obsessive-compulsive, continuous planner, rigid perfectionist, rather hard on myself constitutes laid back, then I'm guilty, but, yes, I do think that I've found most Dorking people to be rather swell.

Well, they'll be lucky to have your enthusiasm to help them continue to approach the Standard. They've come a long way, but there's still much to be done to make them show-stoppers. Nevertheless, the more of this working them the greater the probability of hatching outstanding specimens. It will be cool to see various people posting pic's knowing that we're compairing birds of the same blood, which will make commentary, criticism, and experience ever more relevant.

Back
Top Bottom