B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

The unfortunate thing about lack of control or something going on with one commercial source is a plethora of colors that are not and historically never were Dorking colors. Many of these colors exist on birds who would be suspect as pure Dorkings or at least Dorkings of any decent quality. They land in the hands of enthusiastic newcomers who don't realize what they are seeing in their yards isn't legitimate. Standard wise or historically. Add to the problem by calling some of these colors something that may make no sense or else may have one time been a proper name for a non Standard color. I never discount historically legitimate. Making it in to the SOP is not the only proof that a color variety exists or at least used to. Dorkings have a multitude of colors that still exist for a few breeders because they have existed in the past. I have no problem with this in theory though I do completely understand Joe's position and emphasis on focus. Half a dozen yards isn't going to go far if they are populated with three or four different color varieties. I'm going to really stick my neck out. Being or getting in to the SOP is no indication of breed type and character even though it should be, especially with the qualifying meets needed nowadays. I took a fair amount of heat for expressing some disappointment in the cuckoo Dorkings the weekend of their qualifier which they passed with flying colors. I like a good Dorking. I like the cuckoo color. And the enthusiasm and work together attitude of the Dorking breeders over a several year period was the sort of cooperative breed effort none of us may ever see again. It was wonderful. But the birds were not. They were cuckoo and they were very uniform. They were also too small, short and compact so were not Dorking size or most importantly type. Yet they were admitted to the SOP. All this just to remind those who are curious that not all the SOP varieties are well developed and there are some awfully nice birds existing in colors that will never become Standard by the looks of things.

Can you let us know who the Breeders of the cuckoo Dorkings were? Are they still working on the birds?

celebrate.gif

we have reds hatching! 2 out so far, a few more pipped.
fl.gif

but i do have one question... when reds start coloring out, are they like the sg's, the cockerels have black breast and pullets red? if so, my month old red isn't a cockerel but a pullet. 8)

They are the same pattern, but they are different colors completely; so you'll differentiate them with ease.

celebrate.gif

we have reds hatching! 2 out so far, a few more pipped.
fl.gif

but i do have one question... when reds start coloring out, are they like the sg's, the cockerels have black breast and pullets red? if so, my month old red isn't a cockerel but a pullet. 8)

ok well i've got some 2nd gen sandhill reds hatching, 9 out and 3 to go. I'm seeing several 4 toed's - a couple on both feet , a couple with just 1 foot, and 1 with just stumpy back toes (not 1short / 1 long). a few look pretty good tho.

I know i've asked and spoken with a few people before that have reds, but i've misplaced my list... who has decent reds that might be willing to sell eggs?

i've also got my order in with sandhill, but haven't heard from them and no clue when i should expect to receive my chicks... debating cancelling the order, but i'm torn.

You might ask Rudy about eggs.

Just for fun, here's a pic of my grandson, trying to get close to one of my hens. ( I know her tail angle is too high, but she does have rectangular shape ).

Kim

Jwhip, I think Joe has pretty well hit the nail on the head. The project interest seemed in some cases to be greater than the actual variety interest. I doubt you could, for love or money, gather that many breeders or cuckoo Dorkings together again. Of course it was back in the '90s which also influences the long range picture. Folk's circumstances change and life happens. I can think of two who were very interested and very good breeders who no longer are able to have poultry. A third who I believe may still have birds, maybe even cuckoo, but is very much not on the public radar. They do still exist for Craig Russell and others. I'd suggest contacting Craig and also going to the Dorking Breeders Club website and posting wants, questions etc. in the Forums part of the site. It's way more active than the Yahoo group though that doesn't mean wildly so. Still, it's a good place for Dorking folks to go as well as the group here on BYC. Not being on the public radar and not putting yourself out there seems to be something that goes along with a Dorking interest more than I run into with some other breeds. It's like well, I have a house, a sock/underwear drawer and I have Dorkings. No big deal. But that can make it hard to locate stock. One reason I always suggest Craig is that besides having genetic stocks that many others do not he has always been able to point others in a right direction as far as possibly getting help.

I have been lurking here for a while checking the site out and thought you may enjoy this. It is a picture from THE BOOK OF DORKINGS by H.H. Stoddard dated 1886.

Back
Top Bottom