B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Very nice, Kim! :)
Kim didn't post the pic. i did... Karen. aka KI4GOT (k.i.forgot)
wink.png

Very nice thanks for sharing. I got my Silver Gray from Murray McMurray and they turned out very nice too.

yes, he's a silver grey, and came from murray mcmurray hatchery. probably the best resource for silver greys outside of an independent breeder. i love these guys because they can be sexed reliably at an early age.

here's a pic of the big guy's offspring that i kept for breeding. 7 pullets, 1 cockerel, all just about 4 months old (hatched at weekly intervals from thanksgiving to christmas), plus 3 of my cochins hatched same time (pair of silver laced and a black pullet). you can see the range of shades of the hens' breasts, the one on the cage to the left is probably my darkest girl.

Above are a couple of pictures of my birds. They are some old pictures I took a while ago as it has been terribly rainy here. if we ever get some dry weather i am going to haul some of the dorkings out into the sun and try to take some decent photos of them. Of course the best ones type wise are in breeding pens and hence not looking their best. I think when I am done with breeding this year i am going to try to do a forced molt on my best hens to get them ready for the fall shows. the cock in the picture was my best one and the only one i am using for breeding this year. The rest of the cocks were sold or ended up in the freezer as their offspring were better than them. Guess that means my breeding program is working. of course you can tell from how awefully crow headed they are that I still have lots of work to do. i figure it will take me a minimum of 20 years to reach my final goal of getting a silver-gray dorking that wins overall best of show (at something other than the county fair). My shorter term goals with my flock are coming along well though. I am seeing a good increase in weight from generation to generation, both in males and females. Side sprigs in combs seem to have been eliminated completely, i am getting some feet this year that are vastly better, plus i am getting more consistency overall and things are looking better shape and stature wise (bit slower progress here though).

Looking at some of the other auctions, they don't ship to Hawaii or Alaska. Hawaii I can see, because there is some serious import paperwork involved. But to AK, a simple flat rate box, USPS, works JUST FINE. Grrrrrrrrr.

Yes, Teresa Carmen is in Arizona... and no, I don't know that she's on BYC, but I haven't spent much time here either. She used to do most of her auctions for eggs on Ebay, probably still there. :)

I just hatched some eggs from her. Had 11 hatch out of 17 shipped, which I think is pretty good for shipped eggs. Especially since when I went to pick them up, the clerk at the post office slammed the box down sideways on the counter. grrrrr. Had some displaced air cells, but not due to careless packing. Too early to tell about the quality of the adults, but I was pleased.

Back
Top Bottom