B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Thank you for saying SOMETHING. Good question. I think so. I had hoped that would develop. I love the look of the ones Iceh posted. That black and white cockerel/rooster is nice on the eyes. I will have to check the Dorkings body over more later today. SO cold here. Here is another pic and question: Dorkings fill in when?? These still seem so small. I guess they are about 26 weeks now but geez. Patience... I know. He is hunching in the cold, can you tell?

If it helps, the photos I posted are of 7 month old birds. I haven't weighed the cockerel but if he keeps growing as expected he should be a beast. I agree w/Kim's comment about your boy's back and tail, but like her, I'm not a judge!

Hello everyone!, I am new to Dorking's. Right now I have this colourful guy and a beautiful Silver Dorking Rooster and two hens. I am getting regular eggs from the one hen, and the other i hatched out as a chick and I think she should start laying soon! I plan to hatch out some more eggs in the December!
What would be the colouring of my Dorking roo here?

Quote:
Hello everyone!, I am new to Dorking's. Right now I have this colourful guy and a beautiful Silver Dorking Rooster and two hens. I am getting regular eggs from the one hen, and the other i hatched out as a chick and I think she should start laying soon! I plan to hatch out some more eggs in the December!

he's a 'colored' dorking. i'd love to add him to my colored project flock. none of my cockerels last spring were worth keeping at ALL.

Thank you for saying SOMETHING. Good question. I think so. I had hoped that would develop. I love the look of the ones Iceh posted. That black and white cockerel/rooster is nice on the eyes. I will have to check the Dorkings body over more later today. SO cold here. Here is another pic and question: Dorkings fill in when?? These still seem so small. I guess they are about 26 weeks now but geez. Patience... I know. He is hunching in the cold, can you tell?
ashandvine, he looks a little "alerted" in your picture. You would be a better judge of whether he holds the tail up like that all the time or not--roosters will hold the tail up when alerted or being chased by the paparazzi . Is this your only male? I still have males over 7 months that are not fully developed and these Dorking guys are slow to develop--some of that is a dominance issue if you have several males but not all the time. With his head up like it is in the picture it does make his back look short but that could also be the angle the picture was taken. Even if he has a lot of red in the body remember you have to build a barn before you can paint it! I am really enjoying my red Dorkings-- hope you do too!
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
he's a 'colored' dorking. i'd love to add him to my colored project flock. none of my cockerels last spring were worth keeping at ALL.
awesome!! I did have some 'coloured' hens but they passed away when they were younger from Mareks. So now this guy is with two silver dorking hens. I am going to hatch some of there eggs, I am interested to see what the chicks will be like.

GReetings Janelle! IT would be neat to see how you might find some new Colored Dorking females. Your male is one of the top Colored males I have ever seen. Coloreds are fast disappearing. It would be fantastic to see that male turn into a whole line.

Quote: i have a number of girls with no guys, that match this guy pretty closely (not the SOP version, but the same color his girls would be to breed true). i don't have a colored roo tho, so i'll be breeding them to one of my red guys to see what passes along.

i'm also trying to map out the colored genetics, so PLEASE! when you have some chicks feathered out, i'd love to see what's what. you SHOULD get red-based girls, unless he's actually a gold (heterozygous for silver).

Last edited:
I think Dorking male should not have stripes on the hackle feathers. Colored male has yelow neck feathers not silver, the wing bow of Colored male is yelow too. This one has red on the wings and striped silver neck and last m.b. becouse I am Leghorn man I see his legs as yelow on my monitor, or they are realy yelow on person. That's only my opinion , but I think he is mix of Red and Silver Dorking.

I think Dorking male should not have stripes on the hackle feathers. Colored male has yelow neck feathers not silver, the wing bow of Colored male is yelow too. This one has red on the wings and striped silver neck and last m.b. becouse I am Leghorn man I see his legs as yelow on my monitor, or they are realy yelow on person. That's only my opinion , but I think he is mix of Red and Silver Dorking.
Don't you think it would be a cross of a Silver and a Colored Dorking? My experience here is Colored to Red develop red in the hackles(introduction of red gene) but that may be dependent on backgrounds of birds~I am just learning how genes work in chickens...most is trial and....

Back
Top Bottom