B2 deficiency?

SilkieSisters

Songster
Sep 4, 2018
About 5 days ago one of my hens started having foot issues and I found an article here that looked exactly like what she was having. Her foot curled and she sometimes has trouble walking from stepping on her toes or curling up her foot. The only medicine I have is polyvisol w/out iron but it expired a year ago. Is there a better product to use or will I be fine buying a new bottle? There's a little red mark on her foot which makes me hesitate that its just a vitamin problem. Also her breastbone has no muscle on that side of her body.

20200527_173128.jpg 20200527_173105.jpg 20200527_173101.jpg 20200527_173058.jpg
@Eggcessive

I would go ahead and use the PolyVisol vitamins that you have. Another good choice for riboflavin B2 is super B complex tablets. You can crush 1/4 tablet in water or food and feed it to her daily. Do you know if she was vaccinated for Mareks disease? Mareks can sometimes cause curling under of the toes, and walking on the hock. Her scales on the foot look irritated. Do you think they are injured or that she might have scaly leg mites? Has she been pecking at them?

I would go ahead and use the PolyVisol vitamins that you have. Another good choice for riboflavin B2 is super B complex tablets. You can crush 1/4 tablet in water or food and feed it to her daily. Do you know if she was vaccinated for Mareks disease? Mareks can sometimes cause curling under of the toes, and walking on the hock. Her scales on the foot look irritated. Do you think they are injured or that she might have scaly leg mites? Has she been pecking at them?
Yes she was vaccinated for Mareks and I believe that her scales are irritates because of the feathers growing in. There just one scale on her foot that is red but the rest are laying flat. I've had hens with leg mites and I don't believe she has them. I have a wheelchair from past use . . . should I put her in it?

@Eggcessive I've been continuing with the polyvisol and letting her walk around outside away from the others. She's laying eggs again and rarely curls her foot. She's not eating much i dont think but she'll eat as many scrambled eggs as she's offered
20200529_194401.jpg

I ‘m glad that she is walking around more without the curled toes. Is there anything that she really likes, such as meal worms? I have used tuna, salmon, ground meat, canned catfood and watery chicken feed to tempt one to eat. I hope she gets better.

I ‘m glad that she is walking around more without the curled toes. Is there anything that she really likes, such as meal worms? I have used tuna, salmon, ground meat, canned catfood and watery chicken feed to tempt one to eat. I hope she gets better.
She gobbled down 2 small scrambled eggs this morning and would eat every mealworm she sees. She also is still eating grass when I let her out.

@Eggcessive its been some time and I stopped the polyvisol last week. She hasn't had any foot issues but she wont eat regular food still. Ive been feeding her Exact parrot hand feeding formula which she willingly eats. She drinks good on her own. However in the mroning her food doesn't fully digest. Its not sour crop and i doubt its impacted crop. Ive dealt with both and her breath smells normal and its not a hard lump. Her crop felt full of soft food (about size of ping pong ball) and shes pooping frequent. I feel like it might be pendulous crop or maybe worms? Do you have any advice

I would check her lower abdomen for any swelling or reasons for her crop slowing down. Worming with Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer would be good if she hasn’t been wormed recently. How old is she? Older hens may suffer from a crop slowdown due to a reproductive issue or ascites, and internal laying. Will she eat some bits of egg or tuna, mixed into some wet chicken feed?

I would check her lower abdomen for any swelling or reasons for her crop slowing down. Worming with Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer would be good if she hasn’t been wormed recently. How old is she? Older hens may suffer from a crop slowdown due to a reproductive issue or ascites, and internal laying. Will she eat some bits of egg or tuna, mixed into some wet chicken feed?
Shes a little over a year old. I started them on the safeguard liquid goat wormer because thats all I have and I've never wormed my flock as a whole. Her abdomen is skinny as is most of her. There definitely isn't swelling and I can feel one her bones between her legs by her abdomen

Back
Top Bottom