BA laid 2 eggs and then nothing?

crunchymama11

Chirping
Aug 31, 2018
DFW
I have 5 pullets- NHR, BR, BA, 2 EE. All hatched May 7. 1 EE, the NHR, and the BR have been laying since Sept/early Oct. About 5-6 weeks ago the BA laid 2 eggs 2 days in a row- 1 in the run, the 2nd in the nesting box. And then nothing from her since. (The other EE was the runt and is still not laying or squatting).

My 3 laying birds lay consistently. 2-3 beautiful, hard-shelled, normal eggs a day in the nesting boxes. No signs of illness. The BA is red and squats all the time when I approach her. She is a sweet and docile bird- doesn't seem stressed and is not bullied. I feed organic chick starter (for more protein) and oyster shells on the side, few treats, sometimes free-range in the yard, other times in the run all day. I have thoroughly cleaned out the coop- no signs of eaten eggs or hidden nests. I raked through the run that has DL- again, no signs of eaten eggs or hidden nests. It is possible I might have missed something because of DL but I did check corners thoroughly.

What is going on with the BA? Side ?- Will the 2nd EE ever lay?

What is your location? Being that it is winter, egg laiyng can be wonky or absent this time of year even for pullets coming into maturity, hence why I hatch/buy my chicks in winter so they start laying in summer!
X2!

Hens will do just stop laying sometimes. It sounds like her egg laying organs did not fully start up before the low light level made her stop laying.

Expect eggs mid January or so from her and the EE

X2!

Hens will do just stop laying sometimes. It sounds like her egg laying organs did not fully start up before the low light level made her stop laying.

Expect eggs mid January or so from her and the EE

Ok good. I was worried there was some medical thing wrong with her since she just stopped laying and the others continued. This makes more sense. whew! Glad to know there isn't something wrong with her reproductive organs!

Ok good. I was worried there was some medical thing wrong with her since she just stopped laying and the others continued. This makes more sense. whew! Glad to know there isn't something wrong with her reproductive organs!
As long as she looks healthy and is eating, drinking and pooping, Do not worry!

Chickens are living animals and are not always reliable with egg laying. Lots of things will throw them off

Back
Top Bottom