BA Pullets or Roos?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jt673, Sep 12, 2010.

1. jt673

jt673 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2010
    Hello All, Our chicks are right about 7 weeks or so now. Going clockwise, which look like roos and pullets? It seems we may have a few roos, but I am hopeful for more pullets. Thanks for your help!!

Pic A:
    [​IMG]

Pic B:
    [​IMG]

Pic C:
    [​IMG]

Pic D:
    [​IMG]

They move alot, hopefully these are good pics to be able to tell. They also seem to be going through 'puberty' Their heads are suddenly blotchy this week. More feathers are starting to replace their down feathers.

Thanks again

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    You're not going to like me much.

4 cockerals and 3 pullets. Cockerals in the last picture starting with the one in the back with it's head down and the 3 clockwise of him. The other 3 in the front are pullets.

3. PetRock

PetRock Overrun With Chickens

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Quote:I'm not that experienced with sexing chicks but agree with Happy Chooks. Here is a pic of our BA at around 8 weeks of age. You can see that she had the smallest of combs.

[​IMG]

4. jt673

jt673 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2010
    Quote:I'm not that experienced with sexing chicks but agree with Happy Chooks. Here is a pic of our BA at around 8 weeks of age. You can see that she had the smallest of combs.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/55754_100_0011.jpg

Oh My...! That is what I was afraid of...that we had more roos than pullets. I was hoping that we had early maturing pullets.

Thank you Happy Chooks and PetRock for replying! I had them out yesterday and several of them were bumping chests and flaring the feathers behind their necks. It seemed to early for Rooster Play, but they are at it already. Of course, this would be confirmed after we have gotten attached to them! Thanks again

Cute pullet, BTW!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by