Babies and broody

B_Chickle01

Songster
Nov 11, 2020
Stephentown,Ny
I just posted Saturday evening my Broody D’Uccle just finally hatched our baby we’ve all been so patiently waiting for! A friend of mine who is a local breeder hatched out a couple silkies for me and I should be getting them within the next few days..Do you think it would be ok to slip them under my D’Uccle to raise with her other one chick since she’s been wanting babies and doing so good being a mama and protecting her one chick!? It’ll only be about 3-4babies total including her one for her to look after? I’m so proud of her she’s doing so good and I’m amazed at how her “mama bear(chicken)” has come right out and she is protecting that baby! I was worried with her having an older hen we took in ahead of her in pecking order but before we separated her and her baby into their own private safe nesting area she was up top for a min after hatching baby and she didn’t let any of the other hens near her baby including one of the other really broody Sebright that was acting a fool when baby hatched and bootsy had to fight her for nesting box!

Momma hens become very protective and often see other chicks as a threat. If she is still on the nest sometimes you can fool them into thinking she hatched them, but 5 days is a stretch. You could still try to see if she is a rare mom who just loves all babies, but don't leave her alone with them until you are sure she sees them as her own.

Momma hens become very protective and often see other chicks as a threat. If she is still on the nest sometimes you can fool them into thinking she hatched them, but 5 days is a stretch. You could still try to see if she is a rare mom who just loves all babies, but don't leave her alone with them until you are sure she sees them as her own.
At this point I’m going to just set up the brooder! I still haven’t been able to meet up with friend and grab my babies so it’s too late! My plan was to introduce her and see how she reacted to them being with her and her baby in their own space I have them in. Separate question.. once her chick she hatched out is about a week can I allow them out and about with their flock members and not closed off inside the enclosed run? They haven’t all mingled yet without having the hardware cloth in the middle of them.

At this point I’m going to just set up the brooder! I still haven’t been able to meet up with friend and grab my babies so it’s too late! My plan was to introduce her and see how she reacted to them being with her and her baby in their own space I have them in. Separate question.. once her chick she hatched out is about a week can I allow them out and about with their flock members and not closed off inside the enclosed run? They haven’t all mingled yet without having the hardware cloth in the middle of them.
The mama will take them out when she is ready. When she does, be prepared to protect them as she will try her best but, they are very inquisitive and can slip through any fencing that is not hardware cloth plus
they will dig too. Provide some hiding spots that they can run and duck under. I'd get the hardware cloth up as soon as you can to ease your mind and save yourself heartache. Your mama and chicks will need Starter Grower feed and fresh water. Make sure your chicks are eating too. Be mindful to make sure by a headcount that everyone can make it into the coop brooder area every night. If your in a rainy area, keep them under cover until they are feathered out.
Good luck and enjoy this next adventure.

Many like myself allow mom and babies to return the flock as soon as hatching is complete. Mom may get into a few tussles, but normally the others don't bother the little ones. If you haven't released yet Keep a close watch for a bit to make sure all goes well.

On the topic of advice, we have our mama and babies in a separate kennel, until they have size and feathers on their side.
Every now and then, when the mama decides she wants to escape from the brooding kennel, we let her out but leave the babies in there, if we think they still need time to grow.

This time around, we made an enclosure in the hen yard, where they can go in and out of freely. And our nanny hen lives in there, as she would get picked on terribly outside of there. She is an old, maybe 5-6-year-old BO, she is disabled and has trouble walking and standing up, so she has taken the role of nanny.
Our oldest batch still loves to crawl under her, and they are well around 4 months old.

But really, it depends on the person, and flock. Many people have different opinions, techniques, etc.

Back
Top Bottom