Babies and Mamas, how to integrate

BantamBabies

Chirping
Sep 1, 2019
I have two mamas each with four babies all the same age at 5 weeks old. I have them in their own chicken runs with shelter in our main chicken coop. I realize now I should have integrated them earlier, One mom has already started to lay eggs again.

When can the moms join the flock, and the babies combine into one pen?
Or should I try and integrate them all into the flock at once? The two moms fight through the divider and I let them out briefly together with the flock and they drew blood. But I’d rather integrate them all.

They are all Silkies and Satins and I can put a heat source if needed, our temperatures are not dropping below 40° at night, and highs of 70 during the day.

Attachments

• F8300B9F-7CD8-45CC-BDC9-C6EA2FD08BF7.jpeg
    F8300B9F-7CD8-45CC-BDC9-C6EA2FD08BF7.jpeg
    889.5 KB · Views: 14
You have several options.

One is to let the mama’s go back to the flock en put the chicks together in a separated part of the coop and run, with the see don’t touch method. Integrate slowly.

The second is to give them a lot of space and hiding places and open it all up (if they still fight heavily, stop.)

Third is to keep the 2 chick runs without the mama’s and make openings in a way that the chicks can go out and go back again to hide from the adults (see don’t touch). See what happens and stop when its too difficult / nasty for the chicks.

You have several options.

One is to let the mama’s go back to the flock en put the chicks together in a separated part of the coop and run, with the see don’t touch method. Integrate slowly.

The second is to give them a lot of space and hiding places and open it all up (if they still fight heavily, stop.)

Third is to keep the 2 chick runs without the mama’s and make openings in a way that the chicks can go out and go back again to hide from the adults (see don’t touch). See what happens and stop when its too difficult / nasty for t

Great suggestions! Do you think the babies don’t need the mamas anymore? And will the mamas just want to be with the babies?

You told us that one mama didn’t look after her chicks anymore, true?
Most mana chickens stop caring somewhere between 5 and 9 weeks. By that time (if all goes well) the chicks are integrated in the flock and they don’t need the warmth of mama anymore.

I would choose the second option if that is possible. And leave it to the mama’s to stop caring.

Back
Top Bottom