babies and scratch

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jeannieo, May 19, 2009.

1. jeannieo

jeannieo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    can 2 week old babies have a little scratch grain? they are scratching like crazy. They are getting chick starter and I gave them a little crumbled up corn bread this morning.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

3. countrypreacher

countrypreacher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Powdersville, SC
    i start giving mine small amounts at 4-6 weeks as a treat....

4. cschroeder

cschroeder New Egg

Mar 31, 2009
    Union OR
    I give mine a VERY small amount at about 4-6 weeks also as a treat only and so they will come to me when I'm out in the coop or pasture. You don't want it to replace their feed at all because it has far fewer nutrients...it's chicken candy basically. IMHO

5. jeannieo

jeannieo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    thank you for those answers! [​IMG] I will refrain from the scratch and just give them the chick starter and water. And thanks for the thread, Imp! [​IMG] it gave me lots of good info!

6. mechagrue

mechagrue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    Deception Pass, WA
    I would add that just because they're scratching, it doesn't necessarily mean that they are sad because you haven't given them treats. Scratching is one of the pre-programmed chicken behaviors which is installed at the factory.

Would they be excited to scratch up some grain? Sure! But mostly, they're just scratching. I'm not sure they even know WHY they're scratching, when they're that young.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by