Babies being raised by broody in a large flock

fargosmom

Crowing
15 Years
Dec 27, 2008
Pasadena, CA
Howdy all. One of my 21 hens went broody months ago, so I got her some babies two weeks ago. She’s at a point now where she wants to come out of the dog kennel she’s been brooding in, and wants her babies with her. I’m not sure they’re big enough to be safe from the other hens.
When is it ok to let then out into general population? And what can I do to prevent casualties?

Howdy all. One of my 21 hens went broody months ago, so I got her some babies two weeks ago. She’s at a point now where she wants to come out of the dog kennel she’s been brooding in, and wants her babies with her. I’m not sure they’re big enough to be safe from the other hens.
When is it ok to let then out into general population? And what can I do to prevent casualties?
She should protect them well. I would keep a good eye on them, making sure everything goes well. And even haveing a separated area for her for a while would be good.

This is my opinion, what i would do personally.

has she been in sight of the flock while she was incubating the eggs and brooding the chicks? If she has, she and they should be fine - my broodies bring their chicks out to meet the rest of the flock at 2 days old.
But if you've had them tucked away somewhere out of sight of the flock, I'd be very, very careful about the introductions, for the broody as well as the chicks.

Thanks to all of you! I will find time this weekend to let them mingle under supervision and see how it goes. All fingers and toes crossed . .
Sounds like you set them up for success! I've done this a few times now in a similarly sized flock. Mamas work hard to keep anyone away from their babies.

Let us know how it goes. And pics are always welcome!!!!

Back
Top Bottom