Babies born!! see the cuteness! 8 babies but one is blind

My Stevie- Ray hatched with her eyes looking the same. The cloudiness went after a few days- but her eyesight is compromised and see can only see light and dark from what I can work out. She is about a year old now and does live outside with the flock. I did hand raise her though, and she was only outside after she was pretty much fully grown. She gets around ok by listening to the others and finds the food and water ok. Stevie is the sweetest duck in my adult flock. She loves cuddles and comes to me when I call her name. She will come and sit in my lap - she does trip and stumble a bit at times so I have made sure I dont leave anything lying around outside she may fall over. At night I have to pick her up to take her into bed- but she does wander out in the mornings ok- just following the sound of the others. They are amazingly adaptable and your little one has a great chance at a fairly normal life if it survives its first few weeks. Is there any chance you can raise it for a few weeks at least?? Rather than committing to a house duck which you say wouldnt work for you - It would give the little one a much better chance at surviving.

They are adorable! Congratulations on your new little duck family!

I recently hatched 3 ducklings in a bator. Two of them has whitish eyes too. It was a little membrane that was stuck on the eyes. For the first one, I used a cotton ball with a little dish soap and a lot of water and cleaned it. For no reason I can tell you, on the second one I just used water. Both have clear, clean, bright eyes. There was one difference. The soap cleaned duck's head would get soaping wet in the pond. It was like I had washed off her ability to shed water. So give it a try, but start with just water.

Good luck,
Kathie

One of my Mallard Ducklings last year looked like that one. I had some B&L Eye Antibiotic salve in the house and used it on his eyes, within 2 days his eyes looked normal and he ended up being the Daddy of all this year's babies.
I've never had a blind duck but did have a blind Chicken...she went blind when she was about 8 months old. We created her own little yard and house for her because when she was in the big yard or out in the open with the other chickens she would walk in circles. She did great in her own little area, we always put her food and water in the same place. She lived another 3 yrs, she became egg bound and passed away.

Michelle

No advice from me but those sure are some cute babies
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom