Babies fighting question

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
I have 6 young silkies, and 3 BTW jap babies. I saw one BTW, that I know is a cockerel, and on silkie 'fighting' yesterday.

I was wondering if it is just the cockerels that do this, or do they all do it?

It would be nice to be able to tell what sex the silkies are!

Usually, all of my silkie chicks fight at first. The hens taper off eventually, but the roos continue. Unfortunately, it is long after you are able to tell the sex just by looking at them. Keep an eye on the feet.... the roos feet will get thicker faster than the hens.

Quote:
Even the foot feathering is hard to tell, I have noticed that the hens dont have much feathering on there 2 toes and the roosters do.... I swear this one silkie I have is a boy, but no crowing (his brother does) and everyday I say... hmmm, its a boy..... no look at those feet its a girl.... aahhhhh dont they drive you crazy ????

No these are just play fighting, you know, eyeing each other and jumping around a few times.
I thought it was all of them that do it, but I was hoping I was wrong!!
fl.gif

Quote:
Even the foot feathering is hard to tell, I have noticed that the hens dont have much feathering on there 2 toes and the roosters do.... I swear this one silkie I have is a boy, but no crowing (his brother does) and everyday I say... hmmm, its a boy..... no look at those feet its a girl.... aahhhhh dont they drive you crazy ????

These are my first silkies, and the wait is sooo long!! I want to know what these are!! Why are they so hard??
barnie.gif

Quote:
Mine all do it also !!!! Its kinda cute.... They look like they are playing the mirror game.... Both hens and roosters do it !!!!!

Quote:

These are my first silkies, and the wait is sooo long!! I want to know what these are!! Why are they so hard??
barnie.gif

B/c they like to make us crazy !!!!! Do you have any pics of them, we can try to help you !!!!

The only ones I have show them all eating. Will have to try and catch them to get better ones.

<edit> There are some pics of them in my siggy link...but like I said, they are always eating!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom