Babies going in coop on their own but . . . .

Mommysongbird

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 17, 2011
Small Town, Virginia
they won't go over to the roosts. They were, but they wouldn't get on them, now they just won't go over to where they are!!

Their coop is 4 feet wide and 6 feet long. The roosts are at the back of the coop where the clean out door is. I keep water and food across from them and they will eat and drink but rufuse to stay too close to the roosts.

Now when they go into the coop (which thank God they are doing that on their own now) they will go in and turn to the left where the laying boxes are and huddle up in the corner. Two or 3 of them will roost on the laying boxes, but the rest will huddle up on the floor.

Should I just ignore this behavior?? There is NO WAY to put them on the roosts at night because of the distance from the back to front.

I've read here that juveniles will roost in the nest boxes, until they get older. This could be what's going on with your bunch. How old are they?

Hello Mommy!

That is totally normal behavior for new chicks just going into the coop. My experience is that you can't train them to roost. They will do it when they're ready.

I do get a bit worried because they seem to cluster together for a while, even when it's blazing hot outside, but remember, it usually does cool off after dark.

Not to worry! The clustering is pretty normal chick stuff.
smile.png

Quote:
Thank you. That is what I worry about mainly. But you are right, it does cool off at night time, so I guess I won't worry too much. They don't go into the coop at all during the day time, they mostly stay under the coop where it is shady and cool.

Back
Top Bottom