Babies hatching to 5 broody moms

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickndoglover, Jun 17, 2009.

1. chickndoglover

chickndoglover In the Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    Victoria, BC Canada
    I have 3 mile fluers and 2 banty mix hens that are all laying on top of each other in 1 nest, I dont know how many eggs are under them all together, but there is at least 12. This is my first time with chickens going broody ( I guess I should not have just let them do what they wanted![​IMG]) Anyway, 2 days ago there was 2 tiny tiny chicks out in the run, peeping their little hearts out, not a single mother to been seen, I took them inside and put them in my brooder, ( which I had just turned off last week) I have 9 chicks (3 weeks old)under heat out in the coop. Also 10 chicks (3 months old). Anyway to get back to the point, another tiny one hatched yesterday and I took that one inside also. Should I just continue to take them inside as they hatch? It doesnt look like any of the mothers are too concerned about them. Thanks for any advice [​IMG]

2. chickndoglover

Mar 10, 2009
    Victoria, BC Canada
    Also my next question is, do the hens stop laying when they are broody or will I end up with endless chicks!! OMG
    Any advice would help, Thanks

3. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Under my Muscovys I just take the babies away as they hatch. I have chicken turkey and Muscovy eggs under them and take them away as they hatch. They will stop laying when they are broody.

4. chickndoglover

Mar 10, 2009
    Victoria, BC Canada
    Thanks very much, they are adorable, but it is nice to know there will be an end, I only have so much room![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: